Used 2012 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Little Quirks
By mycar34

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After reading several of the reviews I had to commit on several of your issues ...

I am unable to clean the windshield/dash to stop the reflecting.
On sunny days it's dangerous.
I have tried several high end windshield cleaners and nothing has helped.

Unexplained noise ...
It's been driving me nuts since I bought the vehicle. It rattles even the slightest bump in the road. I think, I figured it out.
The glove box rattles.
I used some heavy paper and jammed it in and it helps.

The interior ... It scratches terrible.
Anything leaves a mark!
I dread the reduced trade in value due to scratches.

I do allot of thruway driving. I average between 29-32 mpg. I do not have a heavy foot! Any stopping or idling greatly reduces the mpg. I have owned my Sportage for nine months and have 19,500 miles.

Improve window glare, better quality control for those little noises, and improve the interior!!

my 2012 Kia Sportage
By jeno555

2012 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Kia Sportage when they first came out, it had Nav, heated heats, backup, AC on drivers seat, sunroof everything I could get, I loved the car, great to drive, as long as I was the driver, the passenger seat was to low, and not much padding in the seats, not a smooth ride at all, I talked to a tire dealer about changing the tires to Michelin tires and he said he didn't think it would help the ride much, the passenger seat needs to be a power seat like the driver seat, add more padding to the seats and get rid of those stiff tires, it had great power and a fast start up, but the seats were not comfortable on trips, I traded it last week for a Chevrolet Equinox.

Lemon, and Kia blames me?
By metrogtiguy

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this as an upgrade to my 2011 Sportage LX. The LX's 2.4L engine wasn't quite up to the task of pulling my 1,155lb camper. It would struggle up hills while the A/C was running. I figured I would get the 260hp turbo one, and alleviate that issue. Well, I was VERY wrong.

@3,00 miles - detonation sounds in engine.
Dealer told me it was normal

@5,500 miles - Total spark plug destruction while towing 1,700lb trailer

@6,500 miles - Again, spark plug failure, and hole in cylinder #3 while towing 1,155lb trailer.

Kia blames overloading, yet the car has a 2,000lb towing capacity.
Had to file lawsuit, which is currently pending Kia's response.

Sound system power fun

Program the ECU properly, add tow mode, and improve your customer service. Engines don't burn up because of trailers, they burn up because the ECU wasn't programmed to handle a load at partial throttle.

20,000 Miles and Going
By buffalotom

2012 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have a 2012 SX, it's quick, but seats and handling have much room for improvement. I think the stock 18 inch tires have too high a side wall, tires bounce like a basket ball. Car now has 20K miles, the turbo is cutting in and out, usually upon motor start it sometimes doesn't work, and when restarted thereafter it works again. Shop (Robin w/Transitowne KIA in Buffalo NY Area) looked it over, says it's b/c I had it in FWD lock, which makes no sense. Since I've kept is out of FWD lock, still acting up. When the restart trick stops working I'll take it back in.

Power (when the turbo is working). FWD. Handles heavy cargo well (18 bags of 1.5 cft bags of mulch or 10 boxes of floor tile no problem) not bad for a SUV. Removable floor mat in rear cargo area eases cleanup and traps liguid spills. Can store and trasport up to 4 beer growlers in spare tire area - ready for refills all the time.

Change tire height- causes too much bounce, tune up the suspension - it's stiff enough just isn't tuned at all. make the seat bottoms wider I'm 6ft 220 lbs and my left leg hangs off the side of the seat. The front door A pillars together w/ mirror create big blind spots when looking left and right coming to or while at intersections.

Good overall, but has visibility issues
By ehm1217

2012 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the 2012 Kia Sportage LX FWD for little over two months and about 2,500 miles. So far no mechanical complaints. Performance, ride and mileage is what was expected. Audio and Bluetooth functions work fine.

My one complaint concerns reflective issues with the windshield. In direct light the dashboard reflects up into the windshield causing visibility issues. A cut out in the dash over the steering column reflects directly in the driver’s line of site. The reflection worsens in some lighting conditions but is pretty much always there – even on cloudy days.

If I could get a clear view through the windshield I’d be totally satisfied.

Decent gas mileage. Easy to maneuver and park in tight spots. Comfortable for this class of car.

Fix problematic reflective issues with the windshield.