Used 2012 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Good Car
By rykdo

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Good basic car with excellent syling.
Real 25 MPG on the highway.
Has everything you want and lots less expensive than non-Kia.

The not-so wonderful is that two adults with golf clubs, luggage for 10 days, and a dog in a crate was crowded.
Also the steering is very quick which is nice around town but wears on you after the first 500-1000 miles on a trip.
I do not relax on the highway.
This is not a road racer.
The 4 cylinder works fine and has enough to get you on the freeway without issue but the whine of the engine lets you know it.

Styling is the best thing about this car. Everything else is good or better. Some just good within the context of what it is....an inexpensive really small SUV that can get you there and back. As long as you consider this within what it is supposed to be and don't compare it to a BMW or Lexus, the car is really good. This is not a sports car. Don't expect it to perform like one. Its on par with my old Civic, except for the gas mileage and it really does look good. I'm very much impressed with the door fit and the ease of folding the seats.

I may replace the sterio speakers. Wish I had the upgrade. There is an "almost" blind spot you have to check to make sure you don't change lanes into someone. But that is resolved by "looking" really good and not just glancing in the mirrors. Giving it more power would require a handling refit. Everything works well together as is. I will take our other car on road trips over 200 miles.

Nice Car - POOR fuel economy not as advertised
By hellcat2000

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought a new 2012 Kia Sportage EX.
Initially very pleased with the purchase.
Rides ok, has nice features with the premium package to include the NAV system and backup camera.
Tracked the MPG and started noticing poor fuel economy.
Things haven't changed.
Sticker stated 21/25/32 for city/combined/hwy.
Real world achieve 25-26 highway, 16-17 city.
Usually average 20-22.
Consumer Reports fuel economy testing is spot on and exactly what I get, unfortunately didn't do my research.
Bottom line, descent car for the price, pretty cool features and nice looking car.
Reasons to stay away: No longer trust KIA due to false claims, and FUEL economy well below sticker claim.

Backup camera, NAV system, bluetooth integration. Really like the sunroof and panoramic glass roof in back seat. Cooled driver's seat a great feature for the summer heat. Heated seats nice in winter.

Engine underpowered for this size vehicle, NAV system user interface not the best I've seen, ride is a little stiff and lots of road noise on the highway. Fuel economy definitely NOT best in class.

Great first car
By doshcokyco

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car a week ago. I love driving it. This was the first car I have purchased on my own and I am very proud that I did at the age I am. For parents looking for a safe/fun first car for their kids, check this out. It has that sport look with great gas millage and a great safety rating. Before this car I was driving a 15 year old Honda Civic. The civic was a 1.6L engine and this is a 2.4L. The improvements to engines with fuel efficiency is unbelievable.

Tight steering. Steering wheel controls. Bluetooth. Storage under cargo. Grounded. Gas millage! Sport look. USB port. Mirror blinkers. 17inch alloys on a low model! Spacious backseat. Great height for a average height man!

No need for the Kia preparatory iPod cable (fixed in the UVO models) fog lights standard (fixed in 2013 models)

Little Quirks
By mycar34

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After reading several of the reviews I had to commit on several of your issues ...

I am unable to clean the windshield/dash to stop the reflecting.
On sunny days it's dangerous.
I have tried several high end windshield cleaners and nothing has helped.

Unexplained noise ...
It's been driving me nuts since I bought the vehicle. It rattles even the slightest bump in the road. I think, I figured it out.
The glove box rattles.
I used some heavy paper and jammed it in and it helps.

The interior ... It scratches terrible.
Anything leaves a mark!
I dread the reduced trade in value due to scratches.

I do allot of thruway driving. I average between 29-32 mpg. I do not have a heavy foot! Any stopping or idling greatly reduces the mpg. I have owned my Sportage for nine months and have 19,500 miles.

Improve window glare, better quality control for those little noises, and improve the interior!!

my 2012 Kia Sportage
By jeno555

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a 2012 Kia Sportage when they first came out, it had Nav, heated heats, backup, AC on drivers seat, sunroof everything I could get, I loved the car, great to drive, as long as I was the driver, the passenger seat was to low, and not much padding in the seats, not a smooth ride at all, I talked to a tire dealer about changing the tires to Michelin tires and he said he didn't think it would help the ride much, the passenger seat needs to be a power seat like the driver seat, add more padding to the seats and get rid of those stiff tires, it had great power and a fast start up, but the seats were not comfortable on trips, I traded it last week for a Chevrolet Equinox.