Used 2012 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Loved the car, Engine questionable
By Lost in Stuart

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase used from a KIA dealer, ran fine for 1.5 years. Engine shut down multiple times doing 65mph on the highway 2 weeks ago. Researched and found a recall "SC147" for 2011 to 2014 Sportage's describing the exact problem, called KIA, gave them the VIN and they say my 2012 has a different engine that's not covered. Car was regularly maintained, now worth nothing. Local dealer will install a used engine for $7000

Kia Sportage--Is the way to go!!!!
By Dianne

2012 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My Kia is great,But there is just a little problem on wet road's,I found myself slipping when u pull out from a dead stop, so I will put some weight in the rear just for safety reason's ... It's going on a long drive to Sc next week and I'd rather be safe then sorry, the thing is with these suv's is the weight is all in the front so the rear really does not handle the way that I like,it's like a pick up,u need some weight in the rear end other then that I LOVE my Kia,,,,it only has a little over 52,000 mile's and I keep it in excellent shape,the oil is changed every 3,000 mile's ,and has brand new tire's all around. I am the second owner, and intend to keep it ...The color is beautiful,it's like a nice tan,or copper finish,and I put window riser's on it and a bug deflector to spiffy it up, My Kia is washed and waxed all the time, in other word's anything I drive is in mint condition,I know what this Kia is worth,in a private sale, a dealer offered me 11,000,I looked at him and said I don't think so,,I paid cash for this and am just pricing maybe a 2016-or 2017, Maybe!!! Thank-you

It's A Lemon
By debbie

2012 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

There seems to be internal problems in the engine, causing it to stall while you are driving. Battery wears down, Starter gets fried, really burnt out. The vehicle just breaks down a lot.

Love my Kia!!!!
By Julie

2012 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this new and now have 93,000 miles. One of the best cars Ive ever owned!!! Tough, reliable, Fun, SPORTY!! I was just in a wreck today in my spotless Sportage. I rear ended a pick up hard. Was expecting major damage!!! It is hurt badly, but not as bad as I'd thought. Air bag went off, and it even did a prefect job! Stinky, but It didnt hurt me at all. If by chance its totaled, I will replace it with another one!!!!!!
Update. It was totaled. I have bought a charcoal one just like it with 60,000 miles because its such a great fun car!!!

I'm keeping it !!
By Jan Bedell

2012 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just test drive one. You'll buy it. I got 31.3
Mpg
Rented one while on vacation too !!