Used 2011 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

The Sportier SUV - Kia Sportage
By Tulsa NW

2011 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Need a large fuel tank, small tank causes more fill up on trips.

Turbo Problems in 2011 Kia Sportage
By Tam

2011 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Kia 2011 Sportage SX brand new from a local Kia dealership. I was thinking of purchasing either the Dodge Journey or Sportage at the time, but the 100,000-mile-warranty on the Kia Sportage is what sold the car for me. It also came well equipped and I have to admit I am now spoiled by a nice sunroof, and all the little bells and whistles that the SX comes with. HOWEVER.....the turbo engine has been replaced TWICE in this car. Once at 40,000 miles (which was fine because it was under warranty), and just recently at 104,000 miles....which cost me $600. The Kia Dealership doesn't say much about this....even though I've asked if this is a common Sportage problem. Before I purchased this car several family and friends told me the jury was out on a 4-cylinder with a turbo, and now I can see why. Other than that, I LOVE my Kia Sportage and am hoping the 2nd NEWLY INSTALLED turbo engine will last at least another 50,000 miles. Taking bets..... :)

3 yrs later...
By rifral

2011 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I gave 5 stars too... 3 years ago! The styling is cool, awesome sunroof, decent cargo and passenger room and... well... that's about it. 2 brake switch replacements* (recently recalled), less than expected gas mileage, squeeks and rattles and lately the transmission is reving too high. I have no faith that this rather expensive model will last me the 10 years I was hoping for. It might be a hard sale once the warranty expires!
*when the brake switch blows, the car is completely dead. I know things happen but I shouldn't have to see my car being towed on a flat bed twice while making car payments.

2011 Kia Sportage SX
By scha

2011 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased the Sportage based on the long list of features, engine performance and styling.
I regret to say the build quality, reliability and performance have been poor to say the least.
This was my first experience with Kia and will be my last.
I was really hoping this would be a vehicle I could depend on for years but found out after only two I must replace it or risk becoming stranded and once out of warranty, paying dealer costs for repairs, TSB and recalls.
Fuel mileage average during ownership (30,000) = 22.4 MPG (well below advertised)
5 trips to the dealer for warranty repairs in two years, 30,000 miles.

Auto climate control system.

Build a quality product. ECM issues causing rough idle, turbo waste gate actuator failed in the first 3,400 miles, severe engine rattle at idle, engine pulse at low speeds when cold, blower motor failed with 27,000 miles, turbo failed at 30,000 and another ECM recall. This is all with in two years, 30,000 miles. Hopefully this is isolated to just this Sportage and all of Kia's customers are not dealing with this.

Wish I had waited
By rmhpmi

2011 Kia Sportage SUV SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my 2011 Sportage SX 2WD for just about two years now.
While my wife uses the vehicle as her daily driver, I have had enough seat time to offer my opinions about this great looking but not-so-reliable little SUV.

Sadly, the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine failed at about 9,000 miles and basically had to be replaced.
We have had ongoing issues ever since, but nothing bad enough to be considered a "lemon" under NC law.
I feel certain we will be trading the vehicle next year despite getting killed on depreciation.
My KIA/Hyundai experiment is over.
Japanese for me from now on.

PROS: Decent overall fuel economy with a lifetime average of 24-25 MPG in mostly city driving. On highway trips we have no problem getting 28-29 MPG with the cruise set on 75. Overall we have been satisfied with the fuel mileage for the vehicle. Technology and comfort options on the vehicle are really one of the best selling points. Heated and cooled seats (driver only for cooled), back up camera, dual sunroofs, good navigation system, LED running lights are all appreciated. Styling of this vehicle is very attractive and a strong selling point for most KIA vehicles recently.

Reliability is not about having a 100K mile warranty. It is about not leaving me stranded on the side of the road. This vehicle has done that multiple times. Sorry KIA, but that is unacceptable no matter how good your warranty is. Ride is not comfortable in this vehicle on anything except glass-smooth roads. Wind/Road noise are higher than comfortable and the satellite radio is not worth the cost for me due to constantly dropped signals. Voice command recognition software needs improvement as it is very unreliable and difficult to use.