Used 2009 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Fun car
By Lia

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this little guy. Its so cute, I have to say it looks smaller then it is. Very roomy inside and I will say for the warranty and price no other car in its class can beat it. It says alot about the manufacturer to put a 5 yr 60k mile warranty on their vehicle they must not be expecting a bunch of big issues. One thing I would change would be to have a better (taller) armrest and a bit less plastic in the car, but the sat radio and ipod jack are awesome. Power seats standard on driver side would be cool, also a little less cabin noise its louder then my Nissan but hey its an suv But I bought this for practicality so for that it gets a 10. I hope it continues to make me happy

Sat radio, ipod jack, fun to drive, roomy interior, stability control. good on gas compared to others in class. 5 star safety rating. Good insurance rate (mine went down) bumper to bumper warranty.

Transferable power train, better armrest or a drivers side armrest. power driver side seat. Better sounding speakers(need more power)..Maybe a bit less plastic on the inside. Still learning what it has but an oil monitor and tire monitor if it doesnt have it. and less cabin noise.

AWESOME....
By VERY SATISFIED

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Kia, the first being the 2005 Rio, which is still in great condition. Needed larger vehicle for longer trips. This vehicle is fine looking and fun to drive. I guess I had hoped for better fuel economy but at 21 MPG, it isn't bad. I agree with other reviewers...miss my armrest, the vehicle could shift more smoothly and I would like to have a guage for the eng. temp instead of an idiot light. I also would like the outside temp reading but that is not of great significance. Mine has everything but the nav system, and that is because I have an excellent portable that is cheaper to upgrade. AWESOME RIDE for the price!!! Could not have made a better deal!!!!! The warranty, GREAT!

The sound system, air bags that do not activate unless they have to. I will save a lot if in an accident alone when the passenger air bag doesn't deploy unneccessarily. LOVE the ergonomics of the cockpit!!

Engine temp guage, driver's armrest, smoother shifting for the automatic.

Fun Run-about with style
By CEsav

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

With the rebate, great price to start with, no nonesense dealer (not what I found at Toyota and Honda)the surprizing quiet ride and style plus 10/100 warranty, I was sold. I bought it for around town driving, but drove well on the interstate, and got a solid 26mpg. The 4 banger took a little to getting use to (at the lights), but was better than I thought it would, but love it at the gas pump. LX is good value.

Very predictable Auto shift, the shift over ride is nice and easy. Good driving postion ft and rr, firm seats. Great style, fit and trim. Long warranties

A slightly larger gas tank, a higher center armrest, more adjustment on the front headrests, more contrast on gauges.

3 months of ownership, radio gone
By GH

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My radio went at mile 3,700. I took it to the dealer and was told a "refurbished" one would be installed. I was told it would take 4 days, then told up to two weeks and today, due to back order it could take up to 2 months to replace. Refurbished because they say that is all the Kia offers. And forget about calling "customer care" they do nothing to get the matter resolved, they just confirmed there was a back order of refurbished radios and there was nothing they could do. I would have to wait. I suggested getting a radio from a vehicle on the lot, no can do, they said. By the way, I will need a new dash since I now have three screw driver marks and scratches that were left on the dash.

None at this point, I find no pleasure in driving a vehichle waiting for another new part to go, only to be replaced with a refurbished one.

Kia should truly commit to customer service.

Great Vehicle so far
By Fred

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in July, thanks to cash for clunkers, and So far I love the Sportage. We got the Smokey Brown color and constantly get compliments. We lug around our 3 kids with the oldest being 14 and they love it as well. It is suprisingly roomy. High safety marks,amenities you find in much pricier vehicles, and a great warranty are just icing on the cake.

Safety ( side curtain airbags, as well as front, Tire pressure monitor,front active headrests etc...) Keyless entry, Sirius radio, USB and aux inputs, good on gas,10 year warranty, smooth ride and great value...there are so many.

Sunroof would be nice and a hybrid version would be great.