Used 2009 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Loved It, Sorta Love It Still
By Jess

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Spent a PA winter driving circles around other ppl and going up hills passing everyone. FUN. It's cute, way more economical than my Jeep was and super reliable in terms of the engine. After a year, however, the left rear side is creaking like an old house & like another reviewer said, my back hinge is rusting off and I have to get another. The hinges were on back order so this is a common problem apparently. The interior is cheap, you can't go in there without scratching it. Great engine, love the look and simplicity of it, but the rest is not holding up to my expectations at the moment. I don't think a car should have ANY problems after a year, just saying. Overall I still love it.

Simple efficient interior, outside design(so much better looking than the Tuscon), standard features, great dealership(so far, we'll see), price and warranty. Reliable-drove it back and forth from college in rain, sleet and snow with no problems.

I hope they fixed things for the 10-11 models, such as outdated transmission & the cheap interior materials. If they have I would consider trading in my 09 because I do love this car & fixing some things would make it perfect in my opinion. But who is to say 10-11 models won't have other problems?

Great SUV for the price.
By br2000nc

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the Sportage because it was thousands cheaper than the rest of the compact SUVs and has a better warranty. Kia was also offering a $2000 rebate at the time. Have about 27k on it and so far it has been great. posted fuel economy is 20/25/23, we live in the country and average about 26 mpg, not bad. The only disappointment so far is the tires. They already need to be replaced. The 2.0 I4 is ok at highway speeds but acceleration is a little slow. Get the V6 if you want the 4WD model. Other than that it's a great SUV at a great value.

Keyless entry, mp3/usb input standard, reclining back seats.

Drop the 2.0 and use the 2.4 with the 5 speed auto. More cargo room. Better tires.

Pre Owned Kia
By Ben

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car in early March, with 14,000 miles on the clock. Have put 6,000 miles on it in 3 months. Averaging 21 mpg 80/20 highway city split. (75 mph over hilly WV terrain). Very pleasant dealership experience. The USB adapter seems to have stopped working, the only flaw against this car.

Free 3 month trial of satellite radio for preowned vehicles. All wheel drive has been fantastic. Wife loves the ride height. 5 year/60,000 mile transferable power train warranty can not be beat.

The 4 speed is outdated, as is the 2.7 V6. Seems to have to hunt for gears going up hills. Both of these issues have already been addressed by KIA for the current Sportage. Make an AWD Soul and we will be the owners of two KIAs!

Nice exterior/poor reliability
By Brandrews

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car brand new with 87 kilometers on it. Right off the bat the stereo didn't work right. Lost reception in the city all the time. Dealership replaced stereo, didn't fix it. Replaced wiring, didn't fix it. Replaced antenna, didn't fix it. Installed an aftermarket FM Modulator, didn't fix it. They hacked up my dashboard with their tools. 8 months later, countless calls to Kia Canada. Nothing has been fixed. The car hasn't started 5 times since I bought it brand new. The hinges on the back liftgate began to degrade and caused rust streaks down my back window. When fixing this issue, the dealership chipped two pieces off of the roof of my car. Now I need to have the roof repainted.

Fog lights, comfortable seats, easy flat folding seats.

Improve stereos, improve dealership and Kia Canada's "bed side manner", fix car. The car is a dud and I have had nothing done for me. I would NEVER suggest anyone buy a Kia, and I will never buy one again. I will be trying to trade this piece of junk in as soon as possible!

Value! Value! Value!
By Phil Blue

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Cash for clunkers and the rebate made trading in my wife's 2000 Ford Windstar a no brainer. Five days after purchase, we drove our daughter to college, 3500 miles round trip over a weeks time. The comfortable ride was an unexpected pleasure. I am 6'4" and get uncomfortable driving most vehicles for long hours at a time. This Sportage was extremely comfortable during 10 hour driving times. I truly believe the Korean automakers (Kia/Hyundai) are meeting the needs of consumers these days. I now have 15,000 miles on my Kia with absolutely no problems. The 4 banger motor struggles to pass on the hwy and take on hilly Tennessee mountains. I will never buy another American made car, KIA is VALUE!

Interior attention to detail, lots of room inside, comfortable seats, exterior styling PRICE/VALUE

better mpg