Used 2009 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Fine for the money.
By Josh

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Fuel efficiency is not great at high speed, and acceleration is an issue after slowing down or driving up hill. V6 version may be preferred for long drives with family and luggage. Comfortable driving at moderate speed on freeway.

Satisfied customer
By Maria Holthus

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Disintegrating interior
By R Miller

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a used 2009 Sportage in NBA December with 65K miles. Almost immediately, the passenger door lock froze. Had to have that repaired to be able to use the door. The interior light sunglass holder is breaking up. Both plastic light buttons have come off and bits broken off and the latch for the sunglasses has broken off. It will cost $165 just for the part. I don't think I'm excessively hard on cars; I just let go of a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with 235K miles that I'd bought new and never had these issues. I had heard great things about Kia the last 10 years, but I am very disappointed and will not buy another.

Update - now the windows will not roll up from the driver's door controls.

Awesome car
By gerardw

2009 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Living in Central Canada where the winter weather can get down into the -40C range, and the summer temps, like today, can hover in the +30C area, I read reports on the Sportage and decided to buy.
I previously had a Kia Magentis for five years, which, to date is the best car I have ever owned.
The Sportage is coming in a close second.
Very comfortable, great ride, good on gas and excellent dealer service all add up to continuing with this brand next year.
No problem starting in the cold weather and efficient air conditioning in the summer bring excellent reliability.
I miss an inside armrest, wish it had digital temperature controls, but if that is all I have to complain about????

The ride, the ride, the ride!!! I have friends who own much more expensive cars and they are amazed at the ride in the Sportage.

Digital air/heat controls to allow easier heat/cold settings. up/down one touch window on the passenger front side.

ESC light is on
By michelle

2009 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car. I replaced a 2002 Chevy trailblazer with my Kia. I think it's a good choice. That car was junk. Recently my esc off light is on. Any suggestions other than take it to a dealer. It isn't doing anything funky or making any noises. It came on after a bad rain storm. It comes on after about a mile a 2 has passed. Other than that its a great vehicle.

Its cute. stereo. satellite radio.

more plush interior. more room.