Used 2006 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Sportage SUV

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

A bad choice
By J

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new 3 years ago, and liked it. However recently it started stalling when I tried to stop at traffic lights. A Kia dealership could not figure out what the problem was. The situation happens from time to time but nobody can fix it! It's a dangerous car.

Very good value but with subpar engine
By H Vu

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with 19k miles at a dealership for only $12k and it is still under factory warranty. This is a loaded EX 2wd model. It is a vibrant blue color and looks great inside and out. The car is relatively quiet and comfortable and fit and finish appears to be very good. I do have a problem with one of the rear passenger interior door handles not working, but I can just take that in any time to get it fixed. The interior leather seems to be very durable and should up up to many years of use. The premium stereo system sounds good, though loading and unloading cds into the 6-disc changer is very slow and cumbersome. Exterior lighting is very bright, both headlights and tail.

This is a fantastic value considering all of the safety and luxury features, warranty, and low price. The resale value is poor but if you can buy a late model used one like I did, this actually makes it an even better value in my opinion since most of the depreciation has already occurred.

I drive easy, but still find the V6 engine lacking. I get passed routinely going up hills unless I use the manual shift mode and keep the revs high. Engine is fairly smooth and quiet until you rev passed about 4k, then it gets really noisy. Gas mileage is also disappointing at under 21 mpg overall.

my first SUV, and I love it!!!
By dan

2006 Kia Sportage SUV LX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my leased 2006 honda civic for a used 2006 sportage with 15,000 miles on it (basically new). I love the interior and exterior its a great ride. I actually find driving fun again for the first time since I was 16. Car has plenty of power, all the features you could want for a base v6 model. I lost some gas mileage when I traded civic in, but I knew that would happen and accepted it.

looks, styling, power, handling

better gas mileage, make keyless entry standard.

Best valued Mid Sized SUV for the money
By MJP53

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We looked at all of the players; Rav4, CRV, Focus, BMW X3, Tuscon, etc. This was by far the best car for the money. It's comfortable, gets good gas mileage, great on trips and handles like a dream. This is a well engineered vehicle. It also has the best warranty in the industry.

Styling, seats, handling

Power seats on the EX

Comfortable and reliable
By rebecca Hunt

2006 Kia Sportage SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Kia sportage ! I have owned it for a year now and I have enjoyed it more than I thought I ever would.I car pool kids in it I have driven through the mountains of west virginia in it and I went camping in it. and I love the interior, it isn't full of hard plastic everywhere. I have the basic model and I love the easy to care for fabric. The sound system is great and it has plenty of power for me. I highly recommend it for moms on a budget. It gets great mileage on trips and I also have 4 wheel drive and I can get anywhere in this SUV, believe me I have used it, and it cleans up nice too! I have lots of confidence in this SUV, my next trip will be Key west!

I really love everything about this vehicle, I did my homework before I bought it. I drove a ford escape and a jeep liberty and I thought this SUV was more comfortable and the gas mileage was better.

The only thing I would add would be an arm rest in the middle console.