Used 2005 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews

$920 - $1,623

Used Sportage for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Best vehicle I've ever owned

pattistolar, 07/18/2013

I love my 2005 Sportage. I've had it since it was 6 months old and it's never given me any problems whatsoever! It's 8 years old now, with 160,000 km and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Just change the oil and it just keeps on going. Great in the snow too with just all seasons tires. Yay for Kia!!

Don't knock it 'til you try it!

jordans_stang, 03/31/2014

I am impressed. My wife and I have a 2012 Mustang and a 2013 Elantra and decided we wanted a cheap 3rd car to go off-roading and camping. I was so impressed with our Elantra that I decided to look at Sportages and Tucsons. I found that Sportages were listed cheaper, so I tested one. I actually really loved so much about it and so did my wife so we got it for such a good deal. It has so many features for a 2005! We took it up the mountain in 4 inches of fresh snow and it never slipped once--even going up steep hills. It easily tackled rocky and bumpy steep hills, too. I am more than impressed and cannot wait to go camping in the next few months. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs so smooth!

Why I buying another Sportage

BOB PECK, 08/14/2009

The KIA Sportage pleases everyone in our family. The gas mileage is excellent @ 20 in city and 27 hwy with a V6! The ride is absolutely excellent. We enjoy the flexibility of the interior for hauling golf clubs and whatever. The KIA gets many compliments from everyone who rides in it. I am so pleased that after 41,000 miles it has had no issues whatsoever. Just change the oil and put gas in it. I recommend the Sportage to anyone who wants a fun, reliable small SUV.

Never Ever had a problem

clash9898, 02/21/2010

The Kia Sportage is great. I have had mine since it came out and never had a single problem with it. it's fun to drive especially when i use the manual with the auto clutch. it gets great gas millage and performs great in snow with its 4wd. all around a great vehicle and i respect Kia because of it's performance and reliability.

2005 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6 Automatic

pjwildes, 10/11/2012

Bought used 3 yrs ago with 48000 on it. Just turned 100,000. I have only needed to replace tires, brakes, & timing belt assembly recommended at 100,000, & rear wheel bearing. I love this little Sportage! Gets 18 to 24 mpg depending on winter or summer. I put tow package on it for my pop up camper, pulls easily. Issues I have is the parking lights burn out constantly, and the hatch door latches are somewhat stuck, odd. Runs great, it's peppy! Regular oil changes & tire rotations are the only "maintenance" I've had to perform. Wish it had a higher towing capacity for the V-6 but learned its because it has a light-duty rear axle. Can't speak for the newer Sportages, but this one is awesome!

3 years and still love it!

Bakersfield Joe, 09/17/2009

I have not had any probs with this car whatsover! Total confidence in it! Drive it to Vegas from central California all the time and never ever worry! I did have the brakes replaced once at 40k now with over 60k everything still runs awesome! I have the 6cyl and mileage ranges from 18-22mpg. And it's really stylish!

Reliable, comfortable SUV with a lot of extras!!!

Kent Larson, 09/13/2016
EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When compared with other SUV's out there, you can't beat Kia for the value for the money. So many extras that come standard that you pay more for with other brands. They just keep making them better and seem to know exactly what the discerning car-buying public is looking for! This car drives as good as when we bought it almost 100,000 miles ago, with more miles to go!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

TIM, 03/23/2007

Gets 21 miles to the gallon. Stalls at stops/near stops. Have taken it in 2 times to be fixed, and they are unable to do anything about. Have had numerous other problems in the past 1.8 years. Generally, a poorly made vehicle. Am now getting rid of it.

First Impressions on the Sportage

candjfields, 08/22/2010

Purchased my 2005 Kia Sportage (EX w/ V6 and 4WD) late August w/ 66k mi. Very impressed by the interior quality. Leather seats (heated) are comfortable and controls are easily accessible. Impressed by the engine, as it has a good amount of power for 2.7 liter. "Sport shift" shines when upshifting. Downshifts w/ the Sport shift seem to be overly harsh in lower RPM ranges (under 3K). Two car seats fit easily in the back seats. So far, a good purchase.

My Kia

Pat, 03/14/2009

I needed and inexpensive vehicle quickly. I was plesantly surprised with my Sportage. I get about 20 MPG with the six cylinder engine.

KIA REALY IS THE POWER TO SURPRISE

Juilo Porven, 12/04/2009

I bought this vehicle before I moved out from Florida to North Carolina. I have made several road trips with this car and it has never giving me a problem. I maintain it at the dealership and have done every required service when it is due. The service I get is better than some Lexus or Mercedes dealerships. I also own a 06 Rio Sedan and have been very happy with it also. Like most folk I did the researsh on this vehicle and compared it to the Honda's and Toyota's. But when you look at the warranty and the value for your dollar the KIA Sportage wins hands down. I would recommend this vehicle to any one that wants a good SUV at a great price.

great car

gg, 08/26/2008

Purchased it new. Have had 3 years. No problems! I even tow motorcycle with it. Love it!

Love this little SUV!

Jaxnurse, 11/22/2008

Bought this only a week ago for my teenage daughter, but have driven it enough to say that I absolutely love it. It's fun to drive, very perky for a 4 cyl. It's a basic model, so had a keyless remote installed for $100, but that's OK. I don't miss the bells and whistles at all, as it's got all you need. The stereo is nice, the AC kicks, the steering is tight and it brakes on a dime. I feel this car is save for my daughter, and that says a lot. I'm thinking of buying one for myself next year when I get rid of my Nissan!

Glad I bought Kia

maryt, 12/14/2008

I had my Sportage 3 years and really love it. Handles well, carries everything I need. I downsized from a Blazer and could not be happier. The few times I have had to have it serviced have been good experiences.

KIA SPORTAGE LX-V6 4x4

Bob Kinman, 03/26/2005

This vehicle replaces our 2002 ford focus se 4door the sportage is a very nice car like suv to drive feels tight and sporty and drives nothing like any of the suv's in this class that i have test driven ford escape,honda crv, toyota rav4 and has many standard features that the others offered as options such as electronic stability control,traction control and V6 4x4

better than my old rav4

Love my Kia, 06/20/2005

I have always been impressed with my Toyota. After having the Sportage for only five weeks, it has really impressed me. I went with the Kia because it was less money, and I got the leather and all the other bells for a great budget!! The drive is extremelly comfortable, with a great ride, and even with the compact size its very roomy. The v6 is peppy and still gets great gas milage! This is a SUV that is great for commuting and for long trips. Over all the Sportage is one you have got to take a look at.

Tire Issue

eve, 02/13/2009

Love most everything about the car except having to change the tires so often. Have 112K on it and have changed out 4 sets. Redid struts & still going through tires.

Used 2005 Kia Sportage

angel_machine, 08/02/2012

My husband and I just purchased a 2005 Kia Sportage, pre-owned, with 135k miles, due to our limited budget. The Carfax didn't list any maintenance, and the test-drive and subsequent independent pre-purchase inspection confirmed that there were problems. The timing belt system had not been replaced at 100k miles, the battery was original (and died right after purchase), and the A/C was non-functional. We were able to knock off a lot from the price due to all the work that needed to be done (most of it simply maintenance that was put off, not true issues). A/C problem due to climate control module and is being replaced. Hoping we don't regret this purchase.

Great small SUV

JD, 04/23/2005

Better looking inside and out than Honda or Toyota, great interior space for a small SUV, workmanship quality on par with the best in class, nice V6 could use just a bit more power and refinement when pushed but overall a very nice powertrain, excellent brakes, handles more like a sporty sedan than an SUV.

Fun to drive

Bertil Jonsson, 05/10/2005

I love my new Kia Sportage. I have been driving Volvo-cars for the last 30 years, and now I have bought a new Kia Sportage V6. I liked the car from the very beginning. The 2,7 l V6 engine is very smooth and powerful and the automatic shift very smoothly. The car is so new and fresh here in Sweden. If I park in a parking place, people talk to me about my new Kia.

great car!

marco, 05/26/2008

This is the best small SUV in terms of quality/price rapport. It's very silent and offers a smooth ride. It's also stylish. It's not a sport car and it is perfect for a small family. My biggest complain is about fuel economy. I measure gas consumption many times and in the city the car gives 16 mpg, although in the highway it is just fine: 27 mpg.

Mixed Feeklings

KIAKURSE, 03/16/2009

The check engine light has been on from day one. I spent too much time at the dealer attempting to resolve the problem. I have just under 100,000 miles and the transmission is being replaced for the third and last time, since I don't plan to keep it to have the fourth one installed.

Love it so far.

Huskerwilk, 02/27/2005

Recently purchased but am very satisfied so far. A lot of thought went in to the building of this vehicle.

The New Sportage

Adam Fay, 03/26/2005

Probably the best handling compact SUV I've ever driven compared to the Escape, Element, etc. Excellent fit and finish that I'd expect from a European manufacturer. Stereo sounds great and all the controls are well marked and within easy reach. Headlights and fogs are very bright. 2.7 liter V-6 has a nice little low end grumble and decent pick-up off the line. More cargo space than I know what to do with. Excellent car for the money and a bargain for $21,000 with all the equipment mine has. Love it and planning on keeping it until it turns into dust, probably a very long time from now. Who'd of thought 10 yrs ago Kia could build an SUV like this?

Lucy's Kia

Robert Gayle, 03/27/2005

We tried all the big name small sport utes. This vehicle fit our needs perfectly. With the v6 it handles, and rides very well. We got the EX model mainly it was the only one with the upgardes we wanted. It has all the fetures we had in our 15yr old Mazda 929 trade in, and a few more.The leather seats are comfortable,rear seats have all kinds of room we didn't expect. Their is a Toyota RAV4 in the family and this thing has more creature comfort than we expected. The cargo area is much better than we expected. When we decided to purchase a new vehicle we tried the Tribute,Escape,Honda,Suziki,Chevy.what a disapointment.The tribute & Escape are a bad joke. KIA IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.

276,000 miles and still going!!!

Liz, 08/31/2019
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this little SUV!!! Insanely reliable and easy to drive. I have not had any major issues and everything that has needed "repair" would be considered regular maintenance.

Buy a Sportage - you wiill love it!!

Patti, 10/09/2007

Have had my Sportage from new for 2.5 years - now at 75,000 km. Best vehicle I've owned. Absolutely no problems whatsoever - not even brakes! Other than regular oil changes have not had any issues at all. Warranty is great too! V6 is very peppy.

LOVE MY KIA <3

CHRIS, 02/15/2005

I Just Got My Kia!! I LOVE IT! Its an awesome and fun Cute-Ute to drive. Rides smooth. GREAT interior Design, VERY Spacious. Kia has really stepped up to standards with the totally re-designed, more powerful, luxury Sportage.

Good town car

Cindy, 10/11/2005

The 2005 Sportage makes a GREAT car to drive around town. It also is fun to drive on the freeway but does lack some power when you have big hills. All around it is a great family car.

I'm Amazed

Iceman8147, 10/10/2005

Having owned (2) 2002 2 Door Sportages (which we both loved dearly), I am amazed at the improvements for the 2005 model year. This one is for my wife and she loves it even more than the 2002. The fit, finish, and standard features are unbelievable. The vehicle is a joy.

Best bang for the buck

Julio Porven, 04/03/2005

Since I went to the South Florida Inrternational Auto Show in 2004 I fell in love with the new sportage. The only problem was that was in October 2004 and the model release date was in January, so they said. January came and went February came and went finally in March dealerships touted the arrival of the new Sportage. I was fortunate enough to find a dealer with a huge selection. I tried the 4 cylinder but when it came down to a small differnece in price between the 4 and the 6 the six is the better deal. I got the LX V6 I was so impressed with its handling and feel for the road. Not to mention all the standard features. I highly recommend this car to any one who wants the best small SUV.

I Love my 2005 Sportage !!

Kathy, 07/04/2005

As a consumer I have to say I really love my 2005 Kia Sportage. The new design is roomy, comfortable and makes me feel safe and secure. I always likes the looks of the original Sportage but must say the larger 2005 Sportage is really a good looking car. The warranty with the 60,000 or 5 year roadside assistance along with the extended 100,000 mile warranty at no charge in the purchase price would be hard to beat... and that aspect made a large impact on my purchase decision. I live in a small city that as severe winters and heavy snow..while I didn't buy a 4x4 I have no worry regarding winter performance. Besides, with the roadside assistance at no charge to me I trust Kia's dependability.

Kia Makes A Comback

Nancy, 07/04/2005

I wanted to buy a Sportage when they first came out - am very glad I waited for the 2005 model. I did a lot of research and I dont feel that you could have put more features in a car for the price and the warranty is outstanding. The warranty had a lot to do with choosing this car but competing dealer had same warranty and I still chose the Sportage. It looks good, rides well and is just an all around great means of transportation. The dealership was great and couldnt beat the price - 17,500 with my trade. I am very happy with my Spotage and am glad I decided to buy it.

2005 Kia Sportage LX FWDR

Susanne, 07/04/2005

A great SUV, fun to drive. Gas Mileage is at 19 and 26 per dealership. I love the storage capacity and the ease of flipping over the back seats that lay completely flat. It's comfortable to zip around town in all day and is a great cross country vehicle as well.

An Easy Choice

Fan4neil, 07/29/2005

Traded in 2003 Toyota Tundra (awful mileage and impractical). Was wife's dream vehicle but common sense won out. I had driven Tucson and liked it but we both went to drive the Kia. Gearing made it feel sportier and interior is beautiful. Wife liked well enough to buy on the spot. Sportage is fun to drive, luxurious, practical, roomy. The value is unbelievable as Kia has so many nice features and they are done up in a great package. 6 CD changer is awesome and black leather interior with heated seats is a great place to spend time. Mix of freeway and in town getting us about 22 mpg. Cannot believe others would purchase mundane CR-V or RAV4 and spend much more to end up with much less. Go Kia!

New Kia Owner

tjb3302, 07/31/2005

Overall a great vehicle, on the highway or running around town. Features make carrying cargo a snap, and sufficient room with or without the back seats folded for anything we are transporting. Cargo cover works great to hide things under as if we had a nice truck with a trunk.

looking for something else

angryKowner, 03/09/2007

At first I loved it, despite the fact that at the dealer when I had to take it back for a missing cup holder and a wash that didn't happen. It was dry wiped but once I got home and decided to wash it myself I saw why, they had ran into something, a dent and some scratches with yellow paint was on it. But I let it go, it had been christened. Not even 2 years old yet and has been towed twice during this winter weather. First they said it was frozen and or flooded. Second time they did a fuel induction ($171.00 out of pocket) thinking that was the cause of it not wanting to start...not. The next time it didn't start I used a blanket to cover the engine over night, it started! Silly but true.

Mileage disaster

imtoad, 05/18/2007

I really enjoy this car except for the mileage. It is rated 19 mpg city but despite the fact that I am very rarely ever stuck in traffic, I rarely average over 14.2 mpg.

Mpg nightmare

Josh, 07/20/2017
LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can only drive 8 mikes before the needle is almost on the first line before a half, I get about 230 mile range and about 14 city no where near 20.

The Best

Gene, 03/30/2005

I thought this vehicle would be to small but am very pleased to Say it has pleanty of room. My wife and I are bigger and we have more than enough room. There is pleanty of leg room in the back seats so no one is crowded. The 4 cylinder engine has more power than I expected and have no problems going up and down the mountains of Colorado. I also like the nice long warranty.

Tom's Retirement Car

Thomas L. Hoffman, 03/31/2005

After owning a Jeep Liberty, and test driving the Forester and the Sante Fe, I found the Sportage a real pleaser. It's new sleak design and roomier interior made this a must buy purchase for me. The main selling point for me was that it has all the features of a SUV but drives like a sedan. I've only had this vehicle less than two weeks but family members and friends and friends were quite impressed with thisd car. KIA has probably the best warranty aroung today. I am hoping I amjust as pleased a year from now as I am today.

Great Little Car!

Kiaconvert, 04/09/2005

We purchased this car when our SUV was totaled - it was 3 years old, and was to go to my youngest when he got his licence, in two years. I was not going to purchase a new van to give him in two years not for $30 - $40,000 - so we looked at this KIA. We love it! It works for us, has all the bells and comforts, and in two years I won't feel bad to give it to a kid...It has a great warranty, and five star crash. Can't ask for more!

The SUV Comeback

Brian Engel, 04/14/2005

My experience was that when I first test drove the Sportage, it was a lot whole lot different than the 2002 predecessor. The exterior was a little bit more taller than the 2002 version. The interior was even nicer than the old one too! Below the front passenger airbag was some kind of handle bar just to hold on to.

Short term review

artgpo, 04/16/2005

My wife purchased a Sportage after considering the PT Cruiser, CR-V, RAV- 4 and Tucson. The Sportage has excellent fit and finish and seem high quality. It resembles its previous version in name only. I know of no other vehicle offer as much for so little. We'll see over the long run. Kia is now squarely middle class.

Features & Price are Hard to Ignore

Landenberg, PA, 04/28/2005

Absolutely fun to drive! Solid handling, quiet, and decent performance. We traded in a '97 Sportage EX for a new '05. We never had any problems with the '97 after 8 years and 60k miles and it wasn't half the car of the '05 Sportage. We looked at a Rav4 to replace the '97 but decided to take a look at the new Sportage just to see what it was like. I would have shelled out the cash for a Rav4 but after driving the '05 Sportage, I was sold. The features and accessories are better than the Rav and for a price that's impossible to beat. The Rav4 is a great car but I felt like I would have been throwing money away to buy one. Look past the Kia logo and do your homework. I think you'll be sold too.

2005 Kia Sportage

Mark Dearborn, 04/28/2005

If you are looking for an affordable, spacious, fuel efficient and fun to drive SUV, the Sportage is the one. We were looking for more room yet not a SUV that would take up two parking spots. We got the 6 cylinder ( a must) completely loaded with all options (leather, 6 cd, amp, subwoofer, sunroof etc) except 4WD for less than 22K. It sits up high enough for the feel of a SUV yet drives like a car. The 100,000 mile limited warranty is a plus. My wife loves this vehicle as everyday transportation to and back from work.

Great bargain!!

Ed, 04/28/2005

We compared the CRV, RAV4, and the Sportage, and for the price, the Kia is hard to beat. The CRV and RAV4 might have better reliability but the Kia is not far behind and their warranty is otstanding. We got a fully loaded Sportage for less than a mid- level CRV LX.

Love My New Sportage

new owner, 04/28/2005

I love the new style and ride! It has been a head turner already and has all the bells and whistles that more affordable SUVs have, yet half the price, oha nd the gas milage is great too. I am getting 23-26 mpg!

best car I have ever owned

Joe Ardenger, 04/29/2005

I was skeptical when purchasing my Kia Sportage. But it did not take long for me to realize that this truely is the best of both worlds. Not only did I save thousands of dollars compared to Honda and Toyota, I have alot more features. The electronic stability control is magic, the car takes over in emergency manuves, to maintain control, the ride is outstanding, and the V6 engine is smooth and efficient. I was worried what people would think if I bought one, and know I realize that Kia is a true contender in the market, and I will enjoy this for years to come.

My Kia

Robert Gayle, 05/01/2005

We considered the RAV4,Honda,Hundai SantaFe,HundaiTucson(Same Co.as KIA),Nissan,and others. Our New Sportage is the exact size we were looking for in a small suv at the right price. Excellemt build quality. We opted for the EX leather package,with moon roof,stability control,and ABS brakes,Side curtian air bags as well as many other features all standard.Warranty is good selling feature.For the price its the best bang for the buck in todays market.

51050