Used 2005 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Mpg nightmare
By Josh

2005 Kia Sportage LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can only drive 8 mikes before the needle is almost on the first line before a half, I get about 230 mile range and about 14 city no where near 20.

Reliable, comfortable SUV with a lot of extras!!!
By Kent Larson

2005 Kia Sportage EX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When compared with other SUV's out there, you can't beat Kia for the value for the money. So many extras that come standard that you pay more for with other brands. They just keep making them better and seem to know exactly what the discerning car-buying public is looking for! This car drives as good as when we bought it almost 100,000 miles ago, with more miles to go!

Don't knock it 'til you try it!
By jordans_stang

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am impressed. My wife and I have a 2012 Mustang and a 2013 Elantra and decided we wanted a cheap 3rd car to go off-roading and camping.
I was so impressed with our Elantra that I decided to look at Sportages and Tucsons. I found that Sportages were listed cheaper, so I tested one. I actually really loved so much about it and so did my wife so we got it for such a good deal. It has so many features for a 2005! We took it up the mountain in 4 inches of fresh snow and it never slipped once--even going up steep hills. It easily tackled rocky and bumpy steep hills, too. I am more than impressed and cannot wait to go camping in the next few months. It has 125,000 miles on it and runs so smooth!

Everything. I do have to say, I love that KIA took advantage of the little things, too. There are grocery bag holders in the back, storage compartments under the cargo area, and back seats that recline to a perfect position.

As I stated before, for a 2005 I am beyond impressed. Front, side, curtain airbags, stability control, and traction control all standard?! My 2012 Mustang doesn't even have curtain airbags. I would only suggest maybe that they should have made it a 5 speed auto, or at least made the 5 speed manual available with the V6 AWD--then I would have been 100% in heaven. Overall though, I see very little that needs improvement.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By pattistolar

2005 Kia Sportage EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my 2005 Sportage. I've had it since it was 6 months old and it's never given me any problems whatsoever! It's 8 years old now, with 160,000 km and is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Just change the oil and it just keeps on going. Great in the snow too with just all seasons tires. Yay for Kia!!

2005 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6 Automatic
By pjwildes

2005 Kia Sportage LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used 3 yrs ago with 48000 on it. Just turned 100,000. I have only needed to replace tires, brakes, & timing belt assembly recommended at 100,000, & rear wheel bearing. I love this little Sportage! Gets 18 to 24 mpg depending on winter or summer. I put tow package on it for my pop up camper, pulls easily. Issues I have is the parking lights burn out constantly, and the hatch door latches are somewhat stuck, odd. Runs great, it's peppy! Regular oil changes & tire rotations are the only "maintenance" I've had to perform. Wish it had a higher towing capacity for the V-6 but learned its because it has a light-duty rear axle. Can't speak for the newer Sportages, but this one is awesome!

Adorable body style. Comfortable front seats. Split rear seats that go down for more cargo room. Peppy acceleration.

Better rear hatch assembly hardware that lasts. Maybe a more heavy-duty rear axle that matches the V-6 motor ability to tow more weight.