Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

great little car
By doug owens

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the 2002 model, 4wd, 5 speed. I find it fun, responsive, and a pure pleasure to drive. My only, and basically trivial problem with it is: IT NEEDS MORE POWER! (sorry 'bout that Tim Allen). I think one of the hamsters under the hood had a stroke going uphill into the Adirondacks, but it recovered nicely, and with minimal brain damage. Other than that, I love this little car that thinks its bigger than it really is.

Comfortable seats, great ride, great handling, good looks, and fits anywhere.

BIGGER, STRONGER HAMSTERS!

too many things gone wrong
By Kim

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this little suv because of price. I wanted a 4x4 and this was one that seemed reasonable. Well let me just say that I glad it's under warranty. The transmission went at 40,000 miles. The cooling fan busted damaging the radiator & washer reservoir. I need front brakes already and just put on 4 new tires just before this winter. Then this winter I had problems with putting fuel in my tank; kept flowing back out at me. Accelerator sensor replaced 3 times. The service has been great & warranty has covered all except tires and brakes of course. I will be trading it in before the warranty is up thats for sure! Other than that, it's not a bad little suv to drive around.

Turning radius is awesome. 4WD has been great over the 2 winters I had it. Sound system is adequate.

Much needed storage compartments. New model already out and has been improved ... so won't add anything here other than I won't be buying it!

Great Basic Transportation
By jbtolla

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased mine in May '04 as a new leftover from 2002, therefore, I stole it from the dealer. For the $10K I paid, I feel I got more than much more than I paid for. My nephew is over 6' tall and always complains about his legs cramping in the back of my Mustang convertible (hour ride), but I drove from New Haven, CT to Williamsburg, VA with him in the back, and not one complaint. I have made a couple trips to VA and several trips back and forth from New Haven to Yankee stadium and my passengers never complain. Since I am used to driving sporty cars, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handles for a little truck.

Great little people mover!

Upholstery could be nicer and the cup holder could be in a more convenient place.

DO NOT BUY!
By Shelly

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. It needed new brakes after only 25,000 miles. The brakes squeal when they get wet. The tire on the back is the biggest pain - hard to see around while driving and hard to close after loading cargo. The fact that the seats don't fold flat really limit the cargo area. The electronics in the car leave a lot to be desired - the power door locks make locking noises when you are exiting the vehicle. The cup holder in the front is in the worst possible place. You can't see the clock or reach any of the climate controls when it is in use. The one in the back is in an even worse place. Who puts a cup holder on the floor?

4WD and compact size

EVERYTHING!

My Little Kia
By Amaranta

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a year and so far I haven't had any problem with my little Kia. I recommend this car if you are looking for a fun and not too expensive car.

Favorite, I love almost everything about it, the exterior design and the interior is good too. It has a really nice radio and it drives smoothly.

Improvements, I would love to have more power in the engine, sometimes it feels like Miss Daisy driving :) but that's it I wouldn't change nothing else.