Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Sportage

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Got My Money's Worth!
By prissy

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this suv only for the fuel mileage. My job required traveling and I live on the road. This car has surpassed my expectations on fuel savings and other than changing the oil & routine servicing, it hasn't cost me one penny! When I purchased it, it had 22k miles & now I'm just over 113k miles. This is a lightweight suv and I found it odd to be rear-wheel drive. It isn't a luxury vehicle but I didn't buy it thinking it was. It's been a great vehicle and has saved me lots in gas and was easy to own. Low auto insurance, maintenance and property taxes. Not a great ride for long trips but if gas consumption is your concern - look no further!

Few stops for fill-ups, tight turning radius-great for parking in tight places and getting around in traffic. Plenty of cargo room and folding forward back seats if you need additional room.

Drink holder could have been better situated but I'm use to it. Not fun driving on interstate or in high winds - suv is too light & you get blown around at times. Uncomfortable seats during long trips but otherwise a SOLID car.

Kia Sportage 2WD Convertible -Must Read-
By Majali

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have purchased my 2002 convertible Sportage in 2008 and have put 24m000 miles on it since then. It's a great good looking affordable car. It has a special charisma. This STRONG Vehicle has literally saved my life, after hitting a parked car from behind while doing 100 mph the damage was slight regardless that the Honda i hit got totaled! Featuring 3 air bags/Automatic Transmission/AC Easily removed cool soft top options. The 2.0 L is strong enough for a small below 2000 LB's SUV ( it has served a BMW 520). Doing 20 MPG City and Crazy 30 MPG highway miles. I don't have any more mechanical troubles after doing a full maintenance a year ago. It maneuvers perfectly, but i wish it was 4WD for sand

Convertible, High off the ground, Safe, economic. Rear seat folded and it's a TRUCK! :D Cheers

Four wheel Drive 4x4, limited at 100mph.

Decent value for a second vehicle.
By Dan O

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Looked around for an inexpensive second vehicle for the wife. Considered sedans(e.g cobalt, g5, focus & corolla), but eventually I stumble upon a fully loaded kia sportage. It was exactly what she needed to get around town, it had 4x4, lots of room and 4 doors. Sure it was a little underpowered, but around the city she really didn't really need to be a speed demon. The 4x4 works great in snowy conditions, the storage capacity in the back is functional (Fit a dresser in the kia, even with the back seats not able to lye flush with the back). The aluminum rims can be a pain, especially with air pressure loss. This vehicle is fun, practical, and for us has been a valued purchase.

The fully loaded ex model w/ two tone paint & roof rack is a really nice looking truck. Seats are comfortable and there is a lot of room inside for such a small looking SUV. Fun to drive.

Fuel economy and engine size. Every kia sportage I see on the road has a rusty tire rack for the spare on the rear. ( I guess that's why the newer models don't have it?) Too bad because that's what makes the sportage unique from any other small suv. Buyer beware aluminum rims need to be sealed!!!

Great First Car
By Elizabeth

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Kia. It was my first car. I chose it because it could fit everything I owned inside of it. Not only did it haul me down to Georgia from Ohio but then moved all of my stuff to Florida a few months later. It also made the move to Dallas and back wonderfully. I consistently take it on long trips and it has never given me any trouble. It's a comfortable ride and gets great mileage on the highway. Of the 2 problems I have had the 1st (cracked master cylinder) was under warranty and the 2nd (fluid in the brakes) was my fault. I didn't use the 4WD enough in the florida climate and hoses disintegrated. The dealer told me, but I decided not to fix it and it caused the brakes.

Full size spare (has come in handy), lots of space (for a small SUV), roof rack, turning radius, stubby rear makes it easy to parallel park and fuel economy.

It could always use a little extra power and the cup holders block the AC vents which are also aimed poorly. You have to do this funny sideways lean. I also wish the back seats folded flush with the floor (which they do in newer models). Can't wait to get a newer one!

My first Kia
By C.Knill

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a 4x4 bought it used then it cost me $1800 to get the front wheels to work properly.Serviced at the dealship and was treated like royalty. I LOVE the fact its full frame and not a unibody!!! ABS and brake warning light come on stay on till shut down and restart for no reason. Low power but hey 4cyl and 4x4 dont mix LOL. Made its way through 4 feet of snow last winter and numerous flooded streets this spring!!Rugged little beasty...I'm happy with it.

I like the simplicity of the 4x4 selector...even my wife had it figured out first time driving it. (sorry ladies) well laid out dash easy to read. Full frame how cool is that!

Took it mudding and got stuck...beef up the power plant!!! Sound system needs to be located higher and the cup holders lower...ashtray should be optional.