Used 2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

VALUE
By Ken

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Owning a car is all about value. Do you get your moneys' worth? My 2002 Sportage passes in all areas. Bought because my wife thought it was "cute". Kept it for 15 years and 150,000 mi. because it was very cheap to maintain. Will keep to see how much further it will go. If it falls apart today, then I got my moneys' worth. Great, (not perfect, but what is?) little car.

great friend for almost 14 years
By M Allen

2002 Kia Sportage 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My only complaints were 'cosmetic' interior, such as: cup holder is above and so blocking radio, clock and climate control. My grand daughter loved it because with the stadium back seat she could see out easily. One thing I wish I had checked before buying is how back seats fold up to enlarge cargo space. Since they fold up against the front seats at least 8 possible inches are lost. I bought it to be my ridge runner when living in Big Sur, which it was 'excellent' for size-wise and 4x4, and its safety features, structurally better than other baby SUVs of the period, as it is a small truck frame and drives like a small truck; has cross beams in the doors and an extra air bag for driver's knees. I never had to do anything except regular maintenance, as the only major thing that ever went wrong was shortly after I bought it and warrantee totally covered it. It has been rear ended 3 times, progressively worse each time, and fully repaired the first 2 times. This last time hit and run while it was parked, at a speed high enough to throw it about 20 feet forward, frame was bent in back, but was still totally drivable and seemed structurally sound except for the smashed rear lift door and spare tire. I let it go so its heart could be transplanted into another, but I miss it terribly. I was the only owner and was quite happy with it, regardless of the cosmetic interior complaints. I would highly recommend this car, especially if you have a need to run ridges.

Cheap, Fun 4x4
By aleksg

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sportage for 350 dollars, so I wasn't expecting perfection.

It has 228k km on the clock, and the manual transmission is noisy, the synchros are worn, so it shifts hard when cold, but still works.

All of the door handles were loose or broken when I got mine, but these problems are easy to fix for a weekend warrior because the door panels are a cinch to remove. The window switches are a common problem, but also very easy to fix.

Basically this is a car you can buy for REAL cheap from someone who doesn't know how to fix small problems. Then you fix them yourself and boom, perfectly good car.

The full-lock 4WD is great, and very very easy to use, there's no special procedure, you just click it in, click it out. For the weight, it gets decent mileage, and is fairly peppy for a 128hp 2.0L engine. Cargo space is decent. The A/C and heat work really nicely. The suspension absorbs big gaps in the road nicely.

The cupholders, door handles, and basically all other plastic in the Sportage is junk. However, the cupholders break in such a way that drink cups from fast food joints still fit just fine. Just not pop cans or bottles. Improve the plastic! Also include a rear locking differential. An open diff on a RWD car is a joke.

Love my Kia, a real trooper!!!
By rrman79

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 2dr Convertible SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a convertable 2002 Kia Sportage, I love this car and I am sad to say in a few weeks I will be selling it to a buddy at work.
My Sportage has 119,000 miles on it now, I bought it with 9,000! So far I have had to replace the roof (vinyl top) that was because for the first 4 years of ownership I did not have a garage!! The air-conditioner compressor locked up at about 60,000, but being a convertable, why do you need A/C? The 4 wheel drive went out about the same time, somthing about the seals rotting?? And just recently had the Master Brake Cylinder replaced. You might say, how can this guy still love this car?? I have had it for 8 years now, and it never quit on me!!
A faithful friend

Strong frame!! I broadsided a car full speed, all the damage it did was knock the bumper off!! This car took a good hit, hard enough to knock the other vehicle's tire in sideways! The good thing was nobody got hurt! The trunk room was also a great thing, I hauled a lawn-mower and snow blower all over town. This is by-far the best car I have ever owned, I now have a Rondo, Kia is a great car company. Despite the small repairs I had to make, this car has held up so well. I work on the Railroad, and drive this car all over bad conditions, and it has held up like a champ, I am gonna miss the Purple Monster!!!

I wish they would put the clock in a better place, if you had any drinks in the cup holders you could not see the clock. The belt also made a fair amount of noise in idle, not so much to be overbearing, but still a little annoying. Changing the oil was a little tough, wish the filter could be in another place, but after awhile, it was just a whole lot easier to take it in to a oil-change garage, and have them do it.

Would like a convertible Sportage next time
By leigh922

2002 Kia Sportage 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

In nearly 2 years of ownership, really liked this SUV. My biggest complaint is the hassle of the spare tire holder being mounted on the rear hatch. You must have two hands available to open and close the rear - what a pain! Otherwise, it was roomy, the 4WD worked great, the fuel economy was as expected for the class and I had few issues.
I suspected a head gasket leak at around 80,000 mi but despite the smell and liquid on the garage floor every day, no one could identify the leak source.
Now that I can get another car, I'm looking for a convertible Sportage 4WD - best of all worlds!

4WD, power windows, compact size and still quite roomy. Did everything I ever asked of it.

Find somewhere else for the spare tire! Please!!!