Used 1998 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews

$820 - $1,736

Used Sportage for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

don't buy

rodeodog, 06/27/2002

30,000 miles time belt shredded, 12,000 miles replaced heater fan, 45,000 miles tires dry rotted and manufacturer (Hankook)refused to adjust, no power, 70,000 miles exhaust system replaced,uncomfortable to ride long distance, paint peeled off fender and running board mud shields, manufacturer would not discuss, Difficult to get to the sparkplugs to replace, etc

VERY UNSAFE VEHICLE

TJJTRUCKER, 01/13/2004

DO NOT BUY, VERY UNSAFE, HIT POLE AT 25 MPH, TOTALED CAR, SPEND 1 WEEK IN HOSPITAL, CAN NOT BELIEVE I PUT MY SON IN THIS CAR. SPENT MORE TIME IN SHOP THAN I DROVE IT. RUSTED OUT BACK END, 4 WD WENT OUT TWICE, DOOR HANDLES WOULD NOT WORK, FUEL TANK, FUEL PUMP, SPARK PLUGS, BATTERY, WIPERS, FRONT BRAKES, COIL WIRE, STARTER, WASHER NOZZLES, YOU NAME IT.

Poor Purchase!

Wendy, 04/16/2002

I bought th 98 Sportage thinking it was a cute little sporty 4-wheel drive that I would find useful. Unfortunately it wasn't useful because something was broke on it every 3-6 months. I wasn't impressed with the service of the dealership either. Now at 60,000 I'm faced with trading it in because of the horrible problems I'm facing. The warranty is no longer effective and the repairs are just too expensive. I'll be paying my way out of this for quite some time.

REPAIRS ADDING UP!

OUCH!!, 08/04/2009

I purchased my Sportage two years used- it had 39,000 miles-high. Owned the car 9 years and have only put 52,000 miles on. The dealer services do little to take care of the car-better to find a good independent. At 60,000 miles, it needed front wheel bearings packed,new timing belt,drive belts,& new battery. At 78,000 miles, the radiator overheated; I had replaced the radiator,thermostat,fan clutch,and a cooling system power flush-cost $1200. Car has always had poor, vibrating brakes that I've had repaired numerous times to no avail. The engine leaks oil - I've had this partially fixed twice for $$$ but still leaks. The 4 WD failed some time back but the indicator light says its working.

the biggest mistake i ever did

svetlana, 06/27/2002

when i purchesed the car on march 26 2002i had nothing but i major problems and still does and they can never find a problem i would never recomend to any one or but it my self kia again or deal with thatg dealership they take advantage of people i wish i never got this car it still have more problems than i know what to do with

BIG MISTAKE

Monterrey, 08/09/2002

The worst car I have ever owned. Consistantly one problem after another, each time I would give it the benefit of the doubt believing that this was the last problem, it never was. I have spent thousands of dollars in repairs and have had horrible experiences with the Kia dealership. No one else is familiar with Kia's so they all told me to go to the Kia dealers plus I could still get a warrenty out of it, that never happened once. I'm happy to tell anyone to not even consider this brand. I've had it for 1 year and I'm selling it now and have lost half my value, big waste of money!!!!

I guess I got lucky

Fafurd, 08/14/2002

Although I think I paid too much, it has been a good little car, for us. Have not had any major problems, service tech (in our area) are helpful and knowledgable. Things I disliked was the low resell value.

Find it fun

Doug-l, 08/16/2002

I have aprox 32000 miles on it, made some long trips and have found it to be fun. I even placed a hitch on it and tow my 16 foot boat with it. I watch others spin their wheels while the Kia just goes and goes. Those who buys knows Kia is a new company, so there will be bugs and items to work out.. Its your fault...

TOO NOISY!

KIaOWner, 11/29/2002

I purchased my KIA recently from a private owner. Although it had 120000 miles on it i thought it would be a good investment. I spent 4000 dollars on it and i knwo i shoudn't complain but i mean the car makes too much noise. the engine is liek deteriorted and it has NO power. You have to floor the sucker to actually et you somewhere. Its Cute though for a teenager car but a bit embarassing when you drie by some where and every one looks at you casue your car makes funky noises. Unless you want a smooth ride, don't but a KIA SPORTAGE. . .sorry. . .

BEST BUY IN BELIZE TRY IT

FLOWERSJ, 12/10/2002

THE 1998 KIA SUV IS AN EXCELLENT VEHICLETO DRIVE IT RUNS LIKE A DEER AND PURS LIKE A CAT .IWOULD SAY TO YOU, BUY THIS VEHICLE NOW!!! ENJOY THE QUALITY OF LIFE YOUR MONEY WILL BE WISELY SPENT AND YOUR HEART WELL SATISFIED. IF NOT TAKE YOUR MONEY BACK OR WE GIVE YOU THE KIA FREE. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, THIS IS A DEAL OF A LIFE TIME.YOU WILL LOVE THIS KIA WHILST THANKING ME. I AM WAITING,HURRY HURRY HURRY!!!

51050