Used 1997 Kia Sportage SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Sportage for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Sportage EX 4x4 Time to let go of it.

jkwh50a, 11/14/2002
EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this Kia new in 1997, except for the Check Engine light which came on all the time during the first 3- 4 years, I have not had any major problems. I currently have 107,000 miles on it and it still starts and runs good every day. Just oil changes every 5,000 miles and a front gear clutch at 59,000, covered by warrantee. I am now in the market for a new car and am considering KIA again. I feel I got my moneys worth out of this car. I did also replace the front windshield glass 3 times due to stones, maybe the Kia glass is too soft I dont know.

Doesn't suck

Ginsu68, 07/17/2002
EX 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the Kia new. Have been relatively satisfied. Currently have 64,000 miles on it and have been places other mini-utes can't even dream of driving. It's great in the snow and off road. There has been one major issue - having to replace the radiator at 44,000 miles and one minor issue - a check engine light that is more of an annoyance than anything else. Every dealer I called says that unless it's flashing it's not a major problem. So, it comes on and off every once in a while and I ignore it. No sense replacing the computer for a minor annoyance.

Great Little SUV

Bob, 10/31/2005
EX 4dr SUV

This vehicle has been a proven performer. With the proper maintenance I have driven 83,000 miles without any repairs. (I forgot I did replace the horn.) It is a joy to drive and very comfortable on long trips. I would take this vehicle anywhere without worry.

Don't Buy This Car

ElaineB, 02/01/2004
4dr SUV 4WD

I have had so many poblems with this car. I bought it new in 97. At 800 miles the catalstic converter blew up causing the underside to catch fire, and all wiring had to be replaced. At 12,000. their was a horrible exhaust leak which after 4 trips to the dealer for repair ended my family in the hospital with a 24% oxygen rate in the blood. Kia would not stand behind their product even when contacted by my attorny. The belts always squeek and their has been a bad engine lifter since day one. Locks, and windows have never worked correctly since day one. I have givin up and have never been able to get kia to fix the problems.

Nightmare

Elnur, 03/08/2006
4dr SUV 4WD

Door key cylinder fell inside the door body the day I brought it home. I had nearly 20 visits to the dealership that year for that problem alone. There were times I was entering the car from the passenger side. 2nd year: O2 sensor went, front brakes cylinders (?) collapsed, service light came on and off. I developed tennis elbow using the Kia shift stick For as long as I owned the car: The car shook anytime over 45 mph - multiple visits to dealership. A horrible rattling sound under the driver's side - multiple visits to dealership. Could not get a clear view in the rear when reversing. Overall an annoying, frustrating and painful experience!