Used 1997 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Affordable, Dependable, Great Little Car
By Michael R. Mecham

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Sportage brand new in 1996, (it's a 1997 Sportage), and have put over 155,000 mies on it with very little problems. I replaced the timing belt, and I will probably replace the clutch soon. I have had to replace the Alternator. Basically it has been one of the most reliable and dependable cars that I have ever owned. It is undoubtedly the best car I have ever driven in snow and ice. It is now 21 years old and I still average 20-21 MPG driving to and from work, and 27-28 MPG on the freeway. I am only thinking about trading it in now because I have a bad knee and pushing the clutch is beginning to hurt. Otherwise I would probably drive it for another 150,000 miles.

3 months, and it's dead
By Flintlock

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV

I bought the car used to replace my Geo Metro. Paid $1400 for it, thought it was a great deal. It had low miles for a reason. Drove it 1 month and had to replace the fuel pump, major ordeal. Ran for two more months, stalling shaking, bad fuel economy. Now the timing belt broke. I'll fix it, sell it, and drive my Saturn I had to buy because this Kia is such a piece of junk.

My girlfriend thinks it's cute.

Nightmare
By Elnur

1997 Kia Sportage 4dr SUV 4WD

Door key cylinder fell inside the door body the day I brought it home. I had nearly 20 visits to the dealership that year for that problem alone. There were times I was entering the car from the passenger side. 2nd year: O2 sensor went, front brakes cylinders (?) collapsed, service light came on and off. I developed tennis elbow using the Kia shift stick For as long as I owned the car: The car shook anytime over 45 mph - multiple visits to dealership. A horrible rattling sound under the driver's side - multiple visits to dealership. Could not get a clear view in the rear when reversing. Overall an annoying, frustrating and painful experience!

None.

Where should I start?

Great Little SUV
By Bob

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV

This vehicle has been a proven performer. With the proper maintenance I have driven 83,000 miles without any repairs. (I forgot I did replace the horn.) It is a joy to drive and very comfortable on long trips. I would take this vehicle anywhere without worry.

That the back seats folded flat and the spare tire was under the car.

i hate it!!!
By Letitia S.

1997 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV 4WD

I got this car for christmas....it was, or it is my first car. at 16 years of age, i thought it was cute at first. then as i started to drive it, it made an awful squeaking sound in the morning, waking everyone up in the neighborhood. as i was moving from jacksonville, fla to houston, tx, we had to tow it because we knew that it wouldnt make it. so as we were towing it, my transfer case blew and it started to smoke. come to find out that it slipped into drive from neutral, and it blew a hole into the transfer case. now we have to replace it, but that cost $1000, which is half of what it costed in the first place. so we're just gonna buy a jeep wrangler, which is sooo much better than the kia.

it was a cute little thing, and it made me feel like i was going fast (and i was only going 25 lol)