Used 2009 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Impressed with Kia
By Felt32

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I wanted a fuel efficient, inexpensive vehicle, with all of the up to date features (such as cruise control, CD, aux outlet) and I got all of that in this Kia. My only regret is that I had waited until the end of the year to get the Kia Forte!!

Fuel, Drive, Overall Cost, and Warranty

None. I just wish I had waited to get the Forte Koup!

Best for the money
By Mister Big

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I get 30 plus mpg around town, and got 37 mpg on a 1000 mile trip of hiway and city,and that's with automatic transmission. Bad stuff: Not the best paint job. Paint surface is rough down near and on the rocker panels, and the paint chips easily; ABS, floor mats are not standard. Good stuff: Peppy performance, great gas mileage; cool, intuitive dashboard controls; comfy seats (easy on my sciatica); solid warranty; roomy trunk; stylish, at least to my eyes. The Spectra is, I think, the best value out there. To get anything even slightly better, you'd have to pay lots more. I love my Spectra!

Don't Underestimate the KIA Spectra
By Tom R.

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Having traded in a 2002 Hyundai Elantra for my KIA Spectra, I expected some close similarities in these Korean cousins. My expectations were pleasantly met in getting behind the wheel of this great little economy car. For my Cash-for-Clunkers allowance for a 1999 Isuzu Trooper and my Hyundai trade-in, I drove away in my KIA Spectra EX for $10,000, including tax, title and registration. I have enjoyed the KIA Spectra experience from the moment I pulled off the dealer's lot.

The KIA Spectra has a very quiet and smooth ride. At about 1100 miles, I am getting about 21 mpg in totally in-city driving. The sound system is excellent, as is the air conditioning/heater-defroster. The fit-and-finish are appropriate for the price and model. Also, very cool moonroof!

None to suggest as yet.

really impressed so far
By savital

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Haven't owned it long, but so far more impressive than expected. Plenty of pep and super-quiet for the mondo freeway driving I do. Amazing fuel economy. Forget the EPA rating, I get 34mpg in mixed driving with the AC on most of the time! Picked it up for less than $11,000, with AC, CD and auto included. Lots of room, both front and back seats. Yes, the exterior and interior are simple, plain vanilla. I like that; pragmatism rules. And I'll agree that this is less solidly made than a Toyota. But for $5,000 less, well worth it! The lack of ABS, though, is shameful. All cars should have ABS standard these days; law should require it. CU gives good reliability ratings.

Price, warranty, quiet, fuel economy, space, smooth drive, easy handling and parking, simple and practical design.

ABS standard. And I'll agree, the seat bottoms are a little shorter than they should be for total driving comfort. Did not like the dealership.

Great Value
By Kev.NY

2009 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle this past June so wanted to give it time before passing judgement. The peace of mind of having such a great warranty is priceless, and the added value of such a good MPG vehicle (getting 29 to 34) was an important factor. The controls are in easy reach, and the vehicle drives very comfortably. The interior is spacious and overall very pleasant to drive. I purchased the gold color with black and tan interior which gives off a mature but stylish feel to the vehicle. I never thought I would say this but so far this vehicle from Kia is a pleasure to drive.

Interior controls are positioned well, standard stereo with CD sounds fantastic, good storage, quiet vehicle and runs nice, and the very attractive MPG.

ABS should be standard along with 205 60R 15 tires for us drivers in the northern tier of states.