Used 2008 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Awesome value, can't go wrong.
By scott

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving this car. I laugh at matrix owners knowing they paid thousands more and I have a safer ride. I was worried if Kia's quality was where it should be but after owning it I can say it's better than most. Far better than the american car I own.

Everything is nicely laid out and comfortable.

Outside styling could be better. And those tail light, you could see them from the moon!

Great car and a great value
By qcspectra

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new last summer. Great build quality and materials, especially at this price. Have previously owned 8 Hondas and 2 Mazdas, and this Spectra easily compares to them. My EX w/manual transmission has averaged 31 in mixed driving (65/35 city/hwy), well over the 23/30 EPA rating. Shopped the '08 Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, Elantra, and Cobalt.

Quiet in town and on the hwy. Great mpg. Fun to drive with smooth manual transmission. Great stereo w/aux jack for my oldest son's MP3 player. Roomy and comfortable enough for road trips with my wife and 2 kids.

Only 2 things: (1) Make anti-lock brakes available on all trim levels. (2) The manual height adjuster on the driver's seat tips the seat forward as it goes up. It would be nice if the seat itself stayed level.

Crushed Spectra replaced with a Spectra
By BJM

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought a Spectra in 2004 and really like it. I never had a problem with it until the day an SUV coming at me in the opposite lane was hit by a car that ran a stop sign, lost control, came into my lane and wiped me out. My Spectra was totaled. Although I was happy with my Spectra, I went to CarMax to see what else was out there. I drove a half a dozen cars or so, and nothing was better than what I had. I purchased another Spectra and have been very happy with it. I must have gotten a good one because I routinely get just over 40 miles to the gal. The comment I get most when people get in my car is "This is a KIA?" in an unbelieving tone.

Remote door locks. I like that I have cruise control, even with a stick shift. Gas mileage is terrific. I like the center console design... it has two separate compartments that I tend to use a lot. I like the fact that I know I have all those airbags in the car for me and my passengers.

Speakers could be a little better.

unexpected... an inexpensive, great car
By midwest customer

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for my purposes. Lots of city driving with the occasional cross country drive. I was blown away when I drove almost 500 miles at about 75mph before needing gas. The roomy interior is perfect as I often have a full car. Safety is a huge issue for me and I always feel good in this car. ABS served me well while driving through N.E. snowstorms. The cruise control is great too. Drives very smoothly, and the CD changer and iPod hookup are great for long drives. I love being able to have my GPS, cell phone charger, and iPod all plugged in at the same time. I have had this car for 4 months and have received tons of compliments.

Nice exterior and interior, stainless steel pedals, and also, the roadside assistance people were extremely helpful&friendly when my car got stuck in a snowbank...I'm a young woman and was traveling alone when it got stuck on the thruway, and they stayed on the phone with me until I calmed down

Rear defrost & windshield wiper, compass on rear view mirror, and also, for whatever reason, it seems to get stuck in the snow a lot, although this could be driver error :). I've had similar sized sedans in similar conditions and I don't know why, but it seems to need a good push much more often

2008 Kia Spectra5 SX
By Choncer

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Spectra5 is a very fun spunky car that can't quite out-accelerate other like makes, at higher speeds it dominates. Turning and cornering is exceptional, sound system is lacking in quality, but replacing the door speakers makes a world of difference. Controls are very functional and convenient, construction is solid. After market accessories are limited, but that's to be expected with a new vehicle. Not fond of the fact that the glovebox doesn't lock. When rear seats are folded down though, all kinds of rear space. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Price, suspension, turning, high quality stock tires, decent acceleration, awesome top speeds, easily modified stereo (rear speakers excluded).

Make rear speakers more accessible, use a different plastic on interior body panels that doesn't scuff as easily, more durable carpet especially in the trunk area.