Used 2008 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

First and Last Kia
By stoneattic

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If you use the stereo aux with a satellite radio or charging ipod there is a very noticeable alternator whine. The dealer had it twice, now claims that's the way it's supposed to work. If you are going to have a convenience feature it should work properly. As annoying as this is the real clincher is that the parking lights will go on by themselves in the middle of the night for no reason, draining the battery. I'm not the only one with this. Search Kia forums and you will find many with the same issue. Kia claims a new BCM will fix it, but it hasn't corrected mine. Then there's the goofy shift points, but there's not enough room to list all of my complaints. Dealer is awful too.

Styling is nice and is overall a nice looking car. Except for the 1-2 gear shifting it's not bad to drive.

Fix the light issue or have a buzzer when the lights are left in the auto/on position. Filter/isolate the power ports so the aux port is useful. Correct the goofy shifting/gearing. It pulls from a stop well then falls on it's face. Figure out what causes that horrible wind noise if there's crosswind

Unresolved Problems
By Peggy

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the Spectra5 for gas mileage reasons and it was a cute car. It was great for the first 4.5 months - consistently 30 to 35mpg and the car was so quiet stopped or running. After that I get 15 to 20mpg with no changes to driving habits, route traveled or where gas purchased and the car is a lot louder. Service dept blames it on weather, car breaking in or just say they don't know and no attempt to look it over. It started at the end of summer before cold started. Make sure that you buy from a dealer that cares. I should have kept my SVU - same gas mileage and no car payment.

It is fun to drive, handles well and has a lot of room inside for a small car.

Better and more knowledgable service departments. There is a problem that I'm sure can be fixed and the car would be great again.

Super Spectra 5
By Julie

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because the combination of reviews, price and fuel economy were hard to beat and it has exceeded my expectations! Great fun to drive and I rarely get less than 30-32 MPG. Have gotten as much as 35 pretty regularly. My only complaint is that it could use a few more little storage compartments and I miss having the temperature and compass feature that I had in my last car.

Bye Bye Kia
By Bri

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well, I owned this car for 11 months and totaled it a couple weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed the Spectra5, and it did pretty well with a rear collision at 50 mph. Pushed me into another car, so both the front and back ends got it, but neither crumpled that far. Safety-wise it did pretty good. The driver seat during the collision slid to the back and put me into a reclining position. Strange, but not a serious fault in my opinion. So, good on safety, brakes stopped me, but the Civic behind me... not so much.

Aux. port, comfy seats - great on long drives, hatchback - so nice for moving large things, windshield washer - one gallon actually fits in there, usually you fit in 0.9 gallons and end up throwing some or saving it in your car. Personal pet peeve. Sunroof - I'm gonna miss my sunroof. Silver pedals

Design - I like the back, but the front is too 'sedany' not sporty enough. Center console storage - no where to put my purse when I had a passenger.

Parking lights stay on sometimes
By Don

2008 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car 6 mo. ago, had this problem since I bought car, dealer said if it doesn't happen all the time, they couldn't fix it. That was fine in the summer but when I had to have it jumped 3 times in the parking lot at work in -10, that's a problem. Brought it back, still wouldn't fix it. Car is 6 mo. old, 13,000 miles, lost 6 grand in value. My mpg were 24-33 thats terrible. My folks' big Buick gets 30 and it's a nice ride, not like this.

Cruise control

Get better service, give out loaner cars if service will take 4 hours or more.