Used 2008 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Parking lights stay on sometimes
By Don

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car 6 mo. ago, had this problem since I bought car, dealer said if it doesn't happen all the time, they couldn't fix it. That was fine in the summer but when I had to have it jumped 3 times in the parking lot at work in -10, that's a problem. Brought it back, still wouldn't fix it. Car is 6 mo. old, 13,000 miles, lost 6 grand in value. My mpg were 24-33 thats terrible. My folks' big Buick gets 30 and it's a nice ride, not like this.

Cruise control

Get better service, give out loaner cars if service will take 4 hours or more.

Great car and a great value
By qcspectra

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new last summer. Great build quality and materials, especially at this price. Have previously owned 8 Hondas and 2 Mazdas, and this Spectra easily compares to them. My EX w/manual transmission has averaged 31 in mixed driving (65/35 city/hwy), well over the 23/30 EPA rating. Shopped the '08 Civic, Mazda3, Corolla, Elantra, and Cobalt.

Quiet in town and on the hwy. Great mpg. Fun to drive with smooth manual transmission. Great stereo w/aux jack for my oldest son's MP3 player. Roomy and comfortable enough for road trips with my wife and 2 kids.

Only 2 things: (1) Make anti-lock brakes available on all trim levels. (2) The manual height adjuster on the driver's seat tips the seat forward as it goes up. It would be nice if the seat itself stayed level.

Crushed Spectra replaced with a Spectra
By BJM

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I originally bought a Spectra in 2004 and really like it. I never had a problem with it until the day an SUV coming at me in the opposite lane was hit by a car that ran a stop sign, lost control, came into my lane and wiped me out. My Spectra was totaled. Although I was happy with my Spectra, I went to CarMax to see what else was out there. I drove a half a dozen cars or so, and nothing was better than what I had. I purchased another Spectra and have been very happy with it. I must have gotten a good one because I routinely get just over 40 miles to the gal. The comment I get most when people get in my car is "This is a KIA?" in an unbelieving tone.

Remote door locks. I like that I have cruise control, even with a stick shift. Gas mileage is terrific. I like the center console design... it has two separate compartments that I tend to use a lot. I like the fact that I know I have all those airbags in the car for me and my passengers.

Speakers could be a little better.

unexpected... an inexpensive, great car
By midwest customer

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for my purposes. Lots of city driving with the occasional cross country drive. I was blown away when I drove almost 500 miles at about 75mph before needing gas. The roomy interior is perfect as I often have a full car. Safety is a huge issue for me and I always feel good in this car. ABS served me well while driving through N.E. snowstorms. The cruise control is great too. Drives very smoothly, and the CD changer and iPod hookup are great for long drives. I love being able to have my GPS, cell phone charger, and iPod all plugged in at the same time. I have had this car for 4 months and have received tons of compliments.

Nice exterior and interior, stainless steel pedals, and also, the roadside assistance people were extremely helpful&friendly when my car got stuck in a snowbank...I'm a young woman and was traveling alone when it got stuck on the thruway, and they stayed on the phone with me until I calmed down

Rear defrost & windshield wiper, compass on rear view mirror, and also, for whatever reason, it seems to get stuck in the snow a lot, although this could be driver error :). I've had similar sized sedans in similar conditions and I don't know why, but it seems to need a good push much more often

My Kia
By uptomischief

2008 Kia Spectra Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Kia about a week. What a fun car. It has excellent pick up and you feel safe scooting out in traffic. The car is very comfortable. Easy to maneuver the seat and tilt wheel to make it comfortable. The keyless entry is great. It has a ton of trunk space. Inside is roomy enough for four people. It has a lot of extras you would not expect such as place to plug in ipod, sturdy cup holders including ones in back seat, CD player, etc. What I found amazing was that this car had all these extras but cruise control is not standard. Overall, this is a great car. It is fun and easy to drive, very economical, comfortable, reliable, safe, and less expensive than the competition

Everything is in such easy reach for the driver. Very, very safe car.

Good stereo is included but it could be better in terms of sound.