Used 2008 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

not worth it
By John C

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

the gas mileage was disappointing.. The Spectra stared to fall apart in a year.. the service department was horrible.. I was hoping it would hold up and the dealership would honor the warranty but after taking it in three times for the door on the gas cap, they said it was a poor design and only cleaned it again.. and were so rude! they said I must have broken it and the seat belt that wouldn't retract.. the side door wouldn't always close.. and I always smelt something burning.. I wasn't planning to sell it in a year after buying new but lost confidence in this car and the warranty.. it is very top heavy and not a good car to drive in the real world.. I took a huge loss with Kia..

the dash board looked cool..

transmission, top heavy, suspension, gas mileage, customer support, wheels,

Great Car
By hdwestmont

2008 Kia Spectra Spectra5 SX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in February and since then have already put over 7,000 miles on it. I drive a lot! I've never gotten worse than 27 mpg and have gotten as good as 38, and trust me, I don't drive like an old woman and that's usually with the AC on too. Was planning on buying an American car, but after endless test drives, this car had more get up and go (compared to Pontiac Vibe, Dodge Caliber). I also liked it better than the Nissan Versa (way over priced) and the Toyota Matrix (also way over priced). All in all, It's been a great car, got more options for less money and it doesn't look like a pregnant roller skate! =)

the ipod jack, cruise control, AC, power locks and windows, tons of room! good mpg, good stock sound system (i drove a 1973 Chevy Nova for almost 5 years, you learn to appreciate the small things)

I've noticed the parking lights will sometimes come on if you leave the lights in the on position, easy fix though, turn them off. The only thing that really bugs me is that the mirrors ( at least i think it's the mirrors) whistle when there is a crosswind.

Great Band For Your Buck!
By williamkreth

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i have owned 2 kias besides this one, and once again kia has surprised me, with their great cars they manufacture! i have been a long time kia owner, and that is not going to change, i drive alot usually 25,000 miles a year! and the kias hold up just fine! and i love their basic yet stylish designs and layouts!

the engine isnt a little pansy it actually has some get up and go

improve the back end, it looks a little weird

Will never buy a Kia again!!
By Heather

2008 Kia Spectra LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I do enjoy by Kia. I got it with 12 miles on it in May 08. I don't drive it very much, just to work. But I've had it in the shop 3 time. My kia is a manual and I think thats the problem. the 1st 2 times it was in the shop was 4 months after I got it. It would not go into reverse.Well a new transmission and cluch later the service department said it was "Fixed". WRONG at 11months old sure enough its doing it again so i take it to the delership and they say nothing is wrong. Am I the only person having trouble???

2008 Kia Spectra
By Bob E.

2008 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the vehicle has done what I needed and expected. Power is fine, mileage was about 30-31 mpg until I reached 25000 miles then I tipped 38mpg a few times depending upon passenger content, and city/highway percentage of driving when tracking the mpg of a tank of fuel. Sound system is good with nice bass and crisp highs. My tires wore out at 27000 miles to the wear bars even though I kept pressure monitored closely and rotated according to recommendations, but you know how the new car new tires are worse mileage than the ones you replace them with! The only thing would keep me from another spectra purchase is the timing belt has terrible moaning noise in the engine. Dlr says its fine!

Mileage per gallon, Stereo system has good sound, adequate power to get into traffic, leg room for a small car, maneuverability in traffic and parking lot is good.

Get rid of the terrible relentless moaning, whining, noise from the engines timing belt area!!! Ive sat at a light and listened to the sound of an old washing machine wharring for 27000 miles increasing to a loud whirrr when accelerating. Thank you for the nice sounding radio to turn up louder!