Used 2003 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Built on Monday after beer blitz?
By BBBBombshell

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my 2nd Kia. The car is fun to drive and has actually held up pretty well for a car of its price range. However, this baby was in the shop 8 times for a throttle problem. The first 7 times they said the problem was the throttle positioning sensor and it was replaced, reset etc. We were fairly irate because they would reset the sensor and it would be fine for about 3 weeks then it would have no power at all and I was getting 14 mpg - yep I said 14! Finally, they changed the whole throttle body and components. We also lost a bolt out of the flywheel, and they had to remove a chunk of foam from the back door so we could roll down the window.Tomorrow I am buying a Ford! Seriously!

Actually has a lot of room for a compact car.

KIA USA really could have cared less that we were having so many problems. I really should have exercised my rights under the lemon law. Now I am exercising my buying power by buying another vehicle, NOT a Kia. What is the point of having this great warranty if the car is always in the shop?

harsh ride, otherwise ok
By Steven

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this car two weeks ago, mostly based on ratings at this site coupled with the cheap price and good gas mileage. I did not notice on the test drive how noisy the ride is. Every pebble feels like a pothole and need to have radio on to drown out the engine noise. Am told by mechanics that this is how they sound and you get what you pay for. Would rather have an older Corolla.

The radio.

Improve ride suspension and do something with that engine.

Kia Spectra
By maui

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Kia for 2 years and have been very pleased with the handling and driving capabilities of it. I am satisfied with the service provided and would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a 4 door sedan, with all the toys, for an affordable, reasonable price. I am less pleased with the ride but feel that better tires than those initially provided would improve this. Overall, this car has been a wonderful addition to our family.

Power one touch drivers door window.

Cruise control would have been a real plus. Considering the other features, this was a big one to not be included.

Reliable Spectra
By Sean Watters

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for the past two years and the only complaint that I have is the fact that it is a smaller car. It is obvious that a car that performs this well on and offroad, (from my experience) that size does not matter. I am extremely satisfied with this vehicle and believe that this car is perfect for college students or the everyday on the go person. It never crossed my mind when I got the car that I would be this satisfied with it. Since I have had this car, I have put 39,000 miles on it and it runs just as well as it did when I first purchased the car. In short, this car is a very reliable car as long as it is well maintained.

Poor review on my '03 Spectra
By Myers712924

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Spectra is on the verge of being a lemon. I have had the transmission replaced twice. The rotors have been chewed up by the brake pads and they weren't even 60% used up and the dealership didn't want to cover that one. They say more than 50% and it's not covered. After haggling with them, they FINALLY agreed to replace the rotors, which I'm not sure they did, because 10 months later, I am needing new ones again. They put that they wouldn't cover rotors any longer in the computer last time there was a problem, so now I'm hung out to dry. The pads are AGAIN about 60% used. The driver seat replaced due to springs popping out of it, the seat belts replaced for not working properly, and much more.

Most impressive is that I was hit by a minivan in the side and it spun me 90+ degrees. Two daughters (6 month & 20 months) in back seat. The outside was SMASHED UP but the inside where my two girls were didn't even budge! Not a scratch on em'. For that, I would by another.

Make the overall operation of the vehicle as efficient as the side crash safety features and you'll have a GREAT car.