Used 2003 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Cheap used car, wouldn't buy new
By Kia Driver

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I find this to be a decent used car for someone just learning to drive or looking for nothing more than point A to point B transportation. It's been pretty reliable although when things do break, they are expensive to repair. Many parts have to be ordered from Korea and it's hard to find a mechanic that will work on them. Very difficult to work on yourself as well. The "little things" like interior trim and such start falling apart around 50k miles though. By 87K the dash was warped, interior trim always falling off, drivers seat no longer went back, and power windows only worked sometimes. The drive train itself is fairly reliable though.

Good stereo and comfortable seats for such a cheap car. Large trunk with fold down seats. Interior is larger than you would think judging by the exterior. Decent rear leg room.

I'd like more power, a smoother transmission, and better build quality. But you just won't find that at this price.

Fell apart (& short of expectations)
By pfft

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Spectra used with about 100,000 miles on it and put 80,000 on it before the transmission completely blew (more expensive to fix than the KBB on the car). The seats were really uncomfortable and it wasn't good for long trips because the steering wheel couldn't be adjusted so it touched my knees the entire time. Little things started breaking (both sun visors fell off, the weather stripping completely dropped off two windows, all but one speaker blew out, heat/air conditioning issues, glove compartment latch broke, dome light switch got touchy, etc). The oil changes were nearly impossible to do at home due to inaccessible location of oil drain. The car only lived for 6 years total.

Fuel economy (23 city not great, but over 30 highway was nice); fairly dependable (no major breakdowns aside from the transmission), fair amount of trunk space, back seat fairly roomy, headlight bulbs easy to change.

Seriously lacking in comfort (seats are hard and you start feeling the wire underneath after not too long), oil changes difficult, needs to be put together to last because pieces start dropping off, needs an adjustable steering wheel. Batteries have to be special ordered because of size/shape.

Review on 2003 KIA Spectra - After 6 Yrs
By David S

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am writing a quick review on my 2003 KIA Spectra. I purchased this car brand new, only 4 miles on it, in March of 2003. 6 Years and 110K miles later, the car is in great shape! No mechanical issues, no leaks. Paint is in excellent condition and it still drives great! I have only had to replace the battery and get new tires. Otherwise, followng the maintenance list, this car has held up wonderfully!

Overall design. Everything important is in driver's reach. Quality paint, has held up quite well.

Better materail for dash defroster vents. My only complaint is mine broke after year 4. It would of cost $750 to replace, according o KIA.

KIA Spectra
By Robin Skipper

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a nuisance since I bought it. I liked the look of it but I wish the people who sold it to me were a bit more honest. I think it had been in an accident and they didn't tell me. It was not detailed very well. The car itself has been nothing but trouble. I have put quite a bit of money into it. I will have it paid for in Oct. However, it now needs a catalytic converter. It's time to get rid of it. I hope I can get a decent price as I do not want a car payment. Thank you

Five years later!
By lovemykia!

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 and I still love it! One review said it doesn't have child locks, but it does! Only a couple repairs and this car has been driven to death with very little maintenance. Had to take it to the dealer early on, forget what it was for but they fixed it at no charge. At 100K mi I just replaced the belt. It's needed five or six new headlights, brake pads at 60-70K, a new battery earlier this year, and only fully replaced tires once for wear. And my sun visor is broken. The car sucks up gas with the AC on high, even on the highway. Other than that, no trouble whatsoever and I give it a dependable rating of "10"

Can get well over 30 mi/gal (87 grade) all highway, city usually around 24-26, can stomp on the gas and not blow the engine, can't beat that price! 100K warranty though unnecessary, nice big windows so I can see the whole road, sits high off the ground for a little sedan, cheap to repair!

Little higher quality on the carpet would be nice and I terribly miss keyless entry