Used 2003 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Average car
By Chris L

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for an average vehicle, this is it. It has 4 wheels, an engine, and it gets you from point A to point B. We've only owned it for a few years, gone from about 65k to 95k miles, and we've had a few issues. The serpentine belt began squeaking during our first winter and eventually snapped, killing the power steering. We've had the belt replaced 3 or 4 times now, and I'm sure we'll have to do so again in the future. The AC also died in relation to fixing the belt somehow, and the muffler pipe needed replacing about a year or so after buying the car, which we finally replaced. A loud muffler is something I wish upon no one.

It is a comfy ride and there's a lot of space in the interior. When the muffler is okay, it has great pick up.

Better quality for sure. I hope the Kia's today are better built.

Love my KIA Spectra
By Love my spectra

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been extremely reliable, the only thing it has been in the shop for is regular maintenance. The gas mileage has been phenomenal consistently near 30 mpg freeway, and mid to upper 20's in town. This is a great car I am sad to have to sell it. The one draw back on this car is that it does not work well for a growing family.

The flexible trunk/backseat space. With seats that fold down along with the hatchback you can get all kinds of stuff in this car!

Non that I can think of, I really like it!

4 OC/7yrs
By Gen

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 7 years now and have actually only changed the oil 4 times. (Yes I know very stupid.) But here is the cool thing, it still runs great. I just hit 100,000 miles and no major problems. Have to change the headlights about every 6 months and the AC has a mind of its own but other then that really dependable.

It came with a CD player :)

Non possessed AC and cruise control that doesn't cost an extra $3000 at purchase.

Great car
By Robert Huffman

2003 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Best car have owned, first and only repair one coil burn out, 700 dollar repair, but this is first spent on car ever, other than regular maintenance

fuel economy

none, its a 2003 they have made changes

Cheap used car, wouldn't buy new
By Kia Driver

2003 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I find this to be a decent used car for someone just learning to drive or looking for nothing more than point A to point B transportation. It's been pretty reliable although when things do break, they are expensive to repair. Many parts have to be ordered from Korea and it's hard to find a mechanic that will work on them. Very difficult to work on yourself as well. The "little things" like interior trim and such start falling apart around 50k miles though. By 87K the dash was warped, interior trim always falling off, drivers seat no longer went back, and power windows only worked sometimes. The drive train itself is fairly reliable though.

Good stereo and comfortable seats for such a cheap car. Large trunk with fold down seats. Interior is larger than you would think judging by the exterior. Decent rear leg room.

I'd like more power, a smoother transmission, and better build quality. But you just won't find that at this price.