Used 2003 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Nothing but problems
By msbolshevik

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 03 Spectra new from a dealer, and I have driven it for 9 years.
When I drove off the lot, IT DIED at the 1st intersection.
They had to replace the entire computer system because it was faulty.
Luckily, that was covered under warranty, but everything that followed was not.
The entire engine seized up for no reason about 3 months later.
I had to replace the transmission within the first couple years (and then a second time about 3 more years down the road).
There have been several other smaller issues, but these are the majors.
I don't know why I kept it so long.
I guess the last 3 years it was somewhat more dependable (because I had replaced everything inside)!

Go have 10 root canals!
By dean_o

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This was the most painful vehicle I have ever owned. We bought it used, and with in the first month had to have 2 transmissions put in. What kind of car needs that? The interior is just an awful design. The alternator went 3 times! The front wheel mounts on both sides were shot. The seat belt buckle broke, come one. The cruise control worked went it wanted too. And for 3 years the check engine light was on and after numerous checks by mechanics no one could get it to turn off and stay off. If you have a choice of someone giving you a Kia Spectra or having to pay for 10 root canals... take the root canals!

Favourite feature? It is now a big square pile of scrap metal.

Take the radiator cap off and screw a new car underneath.

Average car
By Chris L

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

If you're looking for an average vehicle, this is it. It has 4 wheels, an engine, and it gets you from point A to point B. We've only owned it for a few years, gone from about 65k to 95k miles, and we've had a few issues. The serpentine belt began squeaking during our first winter and eventually snapped, killing the power steering. We've had the belt replaced 3 or 4 times now, and I'm sure we'll have to do so again in the future. The AC also died in relation to fixing the belt somehow, and the muffler pipe needed replacing about a year or so after buying the car, which we finally replaced. A loud muffler is something I wish upon no one.

It is a comfy ride and there's a lot of space in the interior. When the muffler is okay, it has great pick up.

Better quality for sure. I hope the Kia's today are better built.

4 OC/7yrs
By Gen

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for almost 7 years now and have actually only changed the oil 4 times. (Yes I know very stupid.) But here is the cool thing, it still runs great. I just hit 100,000 miles and no major problems. Have to change the headlights about every 6 months and the AC has a mind of its own but other then that really dependable.

It came with a CD player :)

Non possessed AC and cruise control that doesn't cost an extra $3000 at purchase.

Great car
By Robert Huffman

2003 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Best car have owned, first and only repair one coil burn out, 700 dollar repair, but this is first spent on car ever, other than regular maintenance

fuel economy