Used 2002 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Not to Shabby
By Chuck

2002 Kia Spectra GS 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car w/ 49000 and now have 100000. I have had two wrecks with it and it looks terrible from the outside but I dont care since im a poor college kid. I love the fact that it has no auto locks, auto transmission, or power windows bc ALL of those features eventually go out so that was a plus for me. Of course great on gas, little to no maintenance, and great leg room being that I am 6'5". I have slept in it on numerous occasions on vacations with the seats folded down and is doable. At 98,000 my fuel pump went out and it cost me about $100 for me to replace myself. Timing belt lasted until 98,000 until i replaced it myself-$40. Fuel pump got clogged very early-$15

Light weight, easy fixes (if you can fix cars), tight suspension, 5 speed, fold down seats, Hatchback, great interior seats, timing belt and all drivebelts lasted 98,000 in great condition until i replaced them myself. Great for college. Not a luxury car!!

Interior dashboard, interior plastics, ac compressor

Love my Spectra
By kialover15

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I finally purchased my own car, and the Kia Spectra was a great choice. I love this car, it has great A/C, automatic, and I just bought my own stereo for it, and now it is perfect. This car is very comfortable (coming from someone with a bad back) and it also gets great MPG!!! I average close to 30 mpg everytime, and that is 80% city! The lowest that I have ever gotten was 23 mpg, and I'm still happy with that. The trunk is very nice sized, and it has great visibility. Very well designed car!!

Love the seats, the quality of the speakers, the MPG, and the overall looks.

Not so sensitive of an engine light. Mine is on because of a micro miny leak, and the garage said it wasn't even worth finding, let alone fixing. So, I'm not so worried about it. I'd like to have cruise control, and I would like to be able to adjust the speed of the intermittent wipers.

9 years and still going strong
By nicegirl

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 123,000 miles on the car and have had no major repairs, except while under warranty it was discovered that I had a faulty transmission. It was replaced immediately. I agree with an earlier post that repairs, tires, brakes, even windshield wipers are more expensive than they should be. My pain has begun fading as well, but it's been 9 yrs. since I bought it. Very reliable.

She's snarky, but a good friend.
By Aenari

2002 Kia Spectra LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

It was my first car, and I was pleased. It worked, and the warranty is phenomenal. My power window motors were constantly iffy, but that's small potatoes - it drove, and drove consistently. The dash and what have you are fairly boring. The CD player developed an interesting quirk where it sucks the cd back in when you eject it before you can grab it. That was fun. But it was a dang good value with cruise control to boot. Keep up on the maintenance and she'll behave. She is snarky; it never let me get too attached emotionally. But it was there for me.

Good amount of room. Gas mileage never bothered me. Stereo is quite satisfying.

The dashboard needed some pizazz! The paint started to come off of the CD controls.

Don't Do it
By Gen

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got a brand new 2002 Kia Spectra. And b/f I was off the lot a headlight was out, it should have been an omen. The windows never worked right, and there was a weird knocking when it rained. And, the alternator was going after only 6 years. Last week, the transmission just went out! We were not going anywhere. $2000.00 worth of repairs on a car with only 136000 miles on it. I have a Subaru Impreza with 196000 miles on it that is 13 years old that is still working great! I only got 400.00 for the car b/c it was just so broken down! My two cents is if you want a car that will give you your moneys worth, buy a Subaru. I had only paid the car off one year b/f it died. Never again!

It was a relatively nice car, but a short life span. And the tires were always going flat. It does not have any perks. So if you want heated seats and power windows try again. I thought it would go farther and give me more. Instead I got a poor man's car and didn't even get my moneys worth.

It is made for tiny people. Seat belts are useless if you weigh more then 200 lbs. If you are a big guy, you will be strapped in tight. Windows always came off track! Headlight covers yellowed. A mechanic friend told me the life of a trans on a Kia is only 140,000 not long enough!