Used 2002 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Spectra

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Pros and Cons
By brookeb

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia Spectra gets 35 miles to the gallon average. Since my purchase in June 2011, I have put 11,000 miles on my car, raising its total to 141,000. I have already replaced one tire, the engine damper, a shift cellanoid, two taillights and a headlight, and am currently in the process of replacing the trans relay switch. My transmission occasionally slips, and it doesn't have a "floaty" ride like some sites claim because the shocks quickly disintegrate. Overall, I do love my Kia despite severe hail damage and some minor issues. The cost of repairs thus far has cost me around 750$, less than half of what I paid for it. However, I likely wouldn't buy a newer model Kia because of poor reviews.

Definitely the gas mileage. I love to tell people that I get around 500 miles to the tank. I also love the roomy trunk. I sleep in my car occasionally between classes, and am usually very comfortable with the seats folded back. Also, the fact that the interior roof is not made of a loose cloth is very nice and easy to clean. Also, the Grindstaff Kia dealership in Johnson City, Tennessee has always been really good about being friendly and informative to me, which I've heard can be a problem with some of the Kia dealerships. Maybe I just found the exception to the rule, however.

I've had several problems with the transmission, including occasional, but rare, slipping. I've also heard that some models, both 2002 and newer, have problems with the airbag deploying during a front-end collision. However, my mom drives a 2011 Kia Sportage and was shocked when her airbag deployed when she barely felt the collision, so it may just be certain cars.

Surprised Me!!!
By baby_c_1989

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia with 80k (or something like that) a year ago it now has 108k miles on it and is still going strong.
I was really worried about buying a kia but I needed a cheap car right away!
I was surprised when I bought it, she told me it was still under warranty until 100k (WOW!)
She had all her maintenance records and it seemed she had some issues with the car the first year or two she bought it.
Since Ive had it the only out of pocket expenses have been oil changes and tires.
I have had NO mechanical difficulty with this car it has been extremely reliable as our only means of transportation.
I am no considering buying a new kia when its time to buy a NEW car.

Great Car
By Dorine

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 4 yrs ago, with 55K miles on it. I drive over 100 miles a day and it has never gotten stuck in snow, it starts every time and only left me stranded once (needed a torque converter). It's a great car, has been hit by deer, broken into, and hit while parked, it's only let me down once. It's time to move on unfortunately as it is needing a lot more attention simply because of the miles I drive, it now has 156,000 miles and keeps on going.

Worst Car Ever
By MS

2002 Kia Spectra GSX 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but issues since it was purchased. It had only 60,000 miles on it which is generally ok and since it wasn't a car for commuting, the mileage wasn't a big deal. After replacing the brake lights- needed new wiring harness, the brake system, the passenger side window that decided to not roll up one day. and various "check engine" lights and sensors later, the Kia WAS working. But alas, now the driver side window fell down by itself while parked in my driveway. It's not even worth the money that's already been dumped into it so at this point, I'm hoping the broken window gives someone some incentive to steal it.

Gas Mileage.

A working product would be nice.

Great Small car but can be pricey
By Benjamin

2002 Kia Spectra 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Recently i bought my 2002 Kia Spectra, so far its been a great little car and even with a 153,000 miles on it it still has a lot of its kick still in it, cant burn out but it tries like hell to, but the only things i have had to done lately is servicing when bought the car it had no air filter and the spark plugs were bad so changed all that and it seemed like it had a new life in it, but recently the front right tire seemed like it was going to fall off due to a tire shop so i had to spend 500 dollars to get all that fixed but ever since then best little car i ever owned and gas mileage is great get a 100 miles to a forth of a tank plus it tries to be sporty at times.

Feels like I'm driving a sports car, great looking very reliable, great turning radius, great mpg if taken care of, very responsive brakes

interior definitely needs to be built a lil better dash is warping and looks like crap needs cruise control