Used 2002 Kia Spectra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Son's second car
By alshoe

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased our 2002 Spectra 11/23/2011 for our son. Our son had a 2002 Saturn SL that was totaled in a accident. This Kia is very much like his Saturn, a basic car, no power windows, door locks or cruise control. Body has some dings and scratches but overall paint, body and interior in very good condition. Never owned a Kia, but good experience at Kia dealership. Clock was not working so they will replace it at no additional cost to me. I also purchased a two year warranty to cover all major components.

The air conditioning and heater work very well. Fuel mileage was 34.5 mpg on the highway and included some stop and go driving do to a accident on the freeway. Car is comfortable to ride in. Engine has adequate power. Climbs hills well. Like the overdrive lock out button on auto shifter, like a Toyota.

Engine and road noise prevalant when driving, but no worse that other compact cars in this price range. Vibration when idling, particularly with air conditioning on. Automatic tranmission shifts normal on most driving conditions. Sometimes tranmission will slip, particlular noticed on two different occasions when exiting off freeway ramp. Plan to change the transaxel fluid soon. Hopefully not a transmission problem but, warrarty purchase will cover if it is.

Pros and Cons
By brookeb

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia Spectra gets 35 miles to the gallon average. Since my purchase in June 2011, I have put 11,000 miles on my car, raising its total to 141,000. I have already replaced one tire, the engine damper, a shift cellanoid, two taillights and a headlight, and am currently in the process of replacing the trans relay switch. My transmission occasionally slips, and it doesn't have a "floaty" ride like some sites claim because the shocks quickly disintegrate. Overall, I do love my Kia despite severe hail damage and some minor issues. The cost of repairs thus far has cost me around 750$, less than half of what I paid for it. However, I likely wouldn't buy a newer model Kia because of poor reviews.

Definitely the gas mileage. I love to tell people that I get around 500 miles to the tank. I also love the roomy trunk. I sleep in my car occasionally between classes, and am usually very comfortable with the seats folded back. Also, the fact that the interior roof is not made of a loose cloth is very nice and easy to clean. Also, the Grindstaff Kia dealership in Johnson City, Tennessee has always been really good about being friendly and informative to me, which I've heard can be a problem with some of the Kia dealerships. Maybe I just found the exception to the rule, however.

I've had several problems with the transmission, including occasional, but rare, slipping. I've also heard that some models, both 2002 and newer, have problems with the airbag deploying during a front-end collision. However, my mom drives a 2011 Kia Sportage and was shocked when her airbag deployed when she barely felt the collision, so it may just be certain cars.

Surprised Me!!!
By baby_c_1989

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Kia with 80k (or something like that) a year ago it now has 108k miles on it and is still going strong.
I was really worried about buying a kia but I needed a cheap car right away!
I was surprised when I bought it, she told me it was still under warranty until 100k (WOW!)
She had all her maintenance records and it seemed she had some issues with the car the first year or two she bought it.
Since Ive had it the only out of pocket expenses have been oil changes and tires.
I have had NO mechanical difficulty with this car it has been extremely reliable as our only means of transportation.
I am no considering buying a new kia when its time to buy a NEW car.

Great Car
By Dorine

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 4 yrs ago, with 55K miles on it. I drive over 100 miles a day and it has never gotten stuck in snow, it starts every time and only left me stranded once (needed a torque converter). It's a great car, has been hit by deer, broken into, and hit while parked, it's only let me down once. It's time to move on unfortunately as it is needing a lot more attention simply because of the miles I drive, it now has 156,000 miles and keeps on going.

Great Small car but can be pricey
By Benjamin

2002 Kia Spectra Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Recently i bought my 2002 Kia Spectra, so far its been a great little car and even with a 153,000 miles on it it still has a lot of its kick still in it, cant burn out but it tries like hell to, but the only things i have had to done lately is servicing when bought the car it had no air filter and the spark plugs were bad so changed all that and it seemed like it had a new life in it, but recently the front right tire seemed like it was going to fall off due to a tire shop so i had to spend 500 dollars to get all that fixed but ever since then best little car i ever owned and gas mileage is great get a 100 miles to a forth of a tank plus it tries to be sporty at times.

Feels like I'm driving a sports car, great looking very reliable, great turning radius, great mpg if taken care of, very responsive brakes

interior definitely needs to be built a lil better dash is warping and looks like crap needs cruise control