Used 2012 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

10,000 miles and loving it
By soccermom57

2012 Kia Sorento SUV SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have previously owned five Chrysler Town and Country minivans and was ready to downsize.
I did a great deal of research and decided to buy the Sorento SX over the Chevy Equinox due to the tremendous warranty difference and that it is made in the US.
I now have 10,000 miles on this car, purchased on October of 2011, and love it.
It's fun and comfortable to drive, I am getting the gas mileage promised-about 20 around town and close to 30 on the highway-with the V6.
The ride is firm and fun, very responsive.
I have had NO problems with this car and really love it.

I highly recommend it and have not had any issues with the dealership at all ,they have been excellent.

Dual sunroof, stitched leather seating, heated and cooled seats, steering wheel bluetooth and navigation controls, third row of seats when I need them. This car is a pleasure to drive and so well equipped at the price it's amazing.

Would like to see remote start and remote liftgate opening, that is truly all I miss!

Falling Out Of Love
By jclaeys

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased 2012 used in Dec. with less than 5K on odo. Was impressed then with the value. Now at just 8K beginning to realize that this is a good vehicle, not a great one by any means.
Probably first and foremost is service, it's just
completely lacking, and until KIA becomes a household name it will probably remain so. I am disappointed with the gas mileage, as I am easy on the pedal and am only able to avg. 20MPG combined 50/50.
I have made countless calls and visits to the dealer for an engine that "shakes" at idle with
the brakes apllied. I have to place car in neutral at every stop light. Problem is, as long as there is no engine light on, no one knows what to do. Stay clear of "4"

Fit and Finish, interior design, handsome exterior. Little body lean on turns

Better Radio...Poor Quality. Had problems with it and Kia replaced it with a rebuilt that had Sirius service in the former owners name. Was unable place service in my name until former owners' contract ran out...really? Original tires are poor, replaced with Yokohamas. Expand service depts. and better train staff Ride, over bumps, feels like cheap nissan at times. GDI engine needs even more power. Car is already loosing it's punch.

The V-6 is the way to go
By andrewm1

2012 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I actually bought a 2011 4 cylinder Kia Sorento back in March 2011.The engine was to slugglish and was somewhat dissapointing.I traded it in a bought a 2012 6 cylinder this past December and am much happier now.The V6 276 horses are fantastic and it does not strain the engine.The ride is quiet and smooth.Absolutely NO body lean in sharper turns,unlike the old school SUVs from the 1990s where every turn felt like a potential rollover.Leg and headroom are great.Climate control is superb.Gas mileage takes a hit from the AWD but on the highway,I still get over 20 MPG,less in city driving.(NYC is tough on MPG for all cars period)

Love the bluetooth and the controls on the steering wheel.

there should be a thermometer,the radio could be better and the rear visibility could be better.

Great value, overacheving car
By pmfarmer

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento. I couldn’t be happier with the purchase. I currently have 8,000 miles on it. Drives great in any weather, has all the extras(heated seats, auto dimming mirror, back up camera) without paying the luxury car prices. Don’t waste your time with the 4-cylinder. I have the v6 AWD, it has excellent power when you need it, even when weighed down with luggage ect, for a week long trip for 4 adults. I have expierienced 23-24 mpg for the city and 25-26 mpg on the highway. Our times at the kia service center for oil changes has been great. I’ve had great luck with asian vehicles and the 2012 kia sorento has only set my standards higher.

POOR gas mileage
By horse8

2012 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Excuses by Bairl Kia in Pgh for poor gas mileage:
the snow, the hills, and the government sets those gas mileage ranges!

I cannot get over 20mpg on the highway going 70mph.
I bought this vehicle for the listed gas mileage.
Not even close!

The ride is hard.
It has the bells and whistles but I would have liked what was advertised by Kia.
I am disappointed.

heated seats and navigation system

Better gas mileage and smoother ride.