Used 2012 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Don't buy the 4 Cylinder
By barbieharley

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2012 Sorento LX with the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. Took it home and it drove great. It was a little sluggish compared to my
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 3.5L V6 but I thought it would save on gas. I took it to work the next day and didn't even get 20 miles and it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I will be returning it within the 5 day period. Will never buy another 4 Cylinder car.

I love the style of both the interior and the exterior but if it doesn't go down the road it doesn't matter how pretty it is.

Do not even offer a 4 cylinder if the car is too big for the engine to handle.

Always buy the big engine.
By buiford56

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I feel badly for all of you that bought the four cylinder engines.
I have just under 30K on my Sorento and it is a great vehicle.
My family and I drove from Iowa to Louisiana and back last week and I averaged 27.5 mpg at 76 mph.
This is a comfortable and relaxed road-trip cruiser.
The ride is a bit stiff, but this is why it handles well.
The Sorento is powerful and economical.
I have to say, it does very well in the snow too.

I am 6'3" and this fits me well for long drives.

My only gripe is the torque steer when you pass other cars. If you are doing 50 mph and floor it to pass, you better have the steering wheel held tight. Torque steer is a common issues the powerful front-drive vehicles and this one has it.

LOVE IT !!!
By jdcali

2012 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I love everything about this car.
I just purchased the 2012 SX V6 dark cherry two weeks ago for my wife. It's fully loaded with all the whistles and bells you could want, its certainly a head turner and conversation starter when people see it. She drives it mostly during the week to work, so I look forward to the weekends so I can drive it.
I know several people have complained about the gas mileage, but we haven't had that experience.

My favorite features are the mirror image like rims, the heated seats, fold in mirrors and flawless paint job to the exterior. It's really done well.

If I had to suggest any improvements I would probably suggest having the trunk door capable of just lifting the glass part of the trunk door instead of having to lift the whole trunk for access to the trunk. I had this feature on our previous SUV, but I've gotten use to not having it. Overall it's an EXCELLENT choice and I have NO buyers remorse for purchasing it.

Horrible gas mileage
By b99munson

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV w/Convenience Pkg (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I enjoy owning this car, and I'm satisfied with it in every way, except for the giant gas mileage ripoff.
I paid an extra $1700 to buy the "Convenience Package" with the 22 city/32 highway sticker.
Now those numbers have been readjusted down to 21/30, which is a big laugh.
I drive like an old lady (actually I AM an old lady) and the ECO light is on almost all the time, supposedly reflecting the fact that I don't do any jackrabbit starts, stomp the brakes, etc.
My normal driving is a mix of city and highway, and I don't get 21 mpg.
I took it on the highway, completely unloaded, with the A/C turned off, and got up to 28 mpg going 65mph on cruise.
Big woop.
Kia should be closed down!

The interior is very comfortable and spacious. I enjoy the greater visibility gained by sitting in a taller vehicle. That's why I bought the car.

The only thing that would turn me into a satisfied Kia customer is a $1700 refund, as well as the silly little gas payback program.

20,000 miles and loving it more
By flyboy80

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Been trouble free, fun to drive, extremely agile in traffic.
Meets or exceeds advertised performance numbers.
Acceleration and braking awesome.

Fuel mileage 30 to 35 MPG (Imperial) in county/town, and 35 to 40 on freeway at 62 to 65 mph, depending on wind.
One day's travel actually 625 miles on tank (15 IMP).
We know there have been economy problems with some models, but not this one.
Ride is firm, but offset by great control in turns and winding roads.
V6 is the way to go.