Used 2012 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Still a turd
By Richienoggin

2012 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't ever buy Kia! First it was a class action law suit for the timing belt braking. Then it's the gas mileage mix up got way less then it was suppose too. So they send you a credit card with the difference every so offen so nice of them. Now my Kia has 90.000 oil done every 3000 an now it somehow has no oil it at all an prob blew up. An no warning at all. Look it up people Kia oil problems. See for yourself. Kia may fix mine who knows but I doubt it reading the rest of the people with the same exact thing go wrong. BEWARE update Kia did fix mine. Got new motor new trans an new drive train. All was bad. Good thing it blew up lol. An the exhaust manifold has a crack in it by 02 sensor. An now after they fixed it now the ball joints are somehow bad they say. An the front end make a noise like the struts are bad. So I replaced all of it struts balljoints, tie rod ends, hubs, an finally the stabilizer bars on the front an it took care of the sounds. So people it's not the rubber boot on the strut. I changed it all an nothing worked until that. Good luck. update well guess i was right they recalled it for small metal pieces that come loose an cause the car to blow up. Only took them over a year to recall it after mine blew up. What a pos never buy a Kia ever. If so your an idiot like Was.

Constantly breaking down on me!
By Jeremy

2012 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my sorento with 100,000 miles on it. So far a hose busted and over heated the engine leaving me stranded. Once fixed, two more hoses busted. Then a week after getting that fixed. The crankshaft position sensor went bad and wouldn't start. Replaced that myself (80$ for the part). The next day the crankshaft position sensor (another 80$ part) went bad and left me broke down at the gas station. And every once in a while the rpm's drop and the motor shakes like crazy for about 5-10 seconds before reving back up. POS!! I can't wait to trade this in on something that's worth a [non-permissible content removed]!

Noisy bottom
By Bridgett

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We purchased this SUV in May of 2014,we drove a month and started getting a thumping noise when you accelerate now it does it when accelerating and some,then it stops.Weve had it to kia 5 times does anyone have any clue what it could be.

Got a great used 6cyl coming off lease
By Terry Herron

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got the 6cyl and I'm glad. I've heard since that the 4cy version has significantly less power and virtually no difference in MPG. I drive daily at 50/50 city and highway and it delivers between 23 and 24mpg over all. Highway only roadtrips get about 28mpg. I consider this good for the size and weight of the vehicle. I've had it almost a year, and it does well on the snowy/icy Minnesota roads. The heated mirrors and parking assist 'tipping' of the mirrors is great. I like the push-button start--I never have to get out my keys--the button on the door handle locks and unlocks the car. The heated and cooled seats are so nice for that instant need for heat or cooling. It would be nice to have at least one more USB port. Some haters say Kia has a 'cheap' feel, but I don't think so. Seats are comfortable and it's SO versatile--you can 6 passengers besides yourself (7 if they're small and you cheat a little), OR you can fold down the seats and have as much room for hauling as a pickup with a topper.

why me?
By L Greta

2012 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just as we're beginning to really appreciate this car, the rear door handle just falls off. Not such a big deal; however, the cost to repair it is high end, ie...better than $250.oo for plastic parts and labor. We've had this car better than a year with no problems other than weak battery and normal oil changes (normal maintenance). With a older model Optima 2010 with no problems, we're talking bout trading in the Sorento