Used 2011 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 312 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Great car except back seats do not work
By Lisa Reilly

2011 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The rear seat latch does not work. Had it repaired three times because it kept breaking. We just past 60K and the seat is stuck down. KIA wants to charge us $900 to fix a defective seat. We can not even sit in it and can not get it upright. Corporate fixed it before for free since this is a KNOWN DEFECT but now they say tough luck. Never buying a KIA again!

Two Warnings
By D McClure

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Sorento with 18k on it in 2013. It has been a great car for the past three years. This year it was at just over 90k. I have always done everything I am supposed to. Plus I am a slow accelerator, typically I cruise at 2000 RPM in the city and 2500 on the highway not passing 3000 during acceleration. Then last month I heard a god awful metal sheering sound and the car skidded to a halt. Had it towed to the mechanic and was told the cylinder tubes had corroded and the cylinder heads were shifting and scraping the sides and that the engine could no longer be started. Cost for a used engine with the same amount of miles is right around $4500. If I want a re-manufactured one it is even more. Warranty is not an option because it cancels at 5/60 on used purchases. What is worse to me is a I still owe $14k. I did some research and it looks like this is a common problem in 2011 and 2012 Sorentos. I had planned on buying a Kia again in the future but I think I will stick to brands I have had good experiences with. I don't know if I will repair it at some point or turn it into a $14k paper weight. I would steer clear!

Get around cute
By Rick

2011 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Kia... designed to fail at 61,000 miles
By Skylar Sutton

2011 Kia Sorento SX 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We're the second owners of this vehicle, purchased it 2 years old with about 20,000 miles on it. We had minor/insignificant issues during the 60k bumper-to-bumper warranty period (which DOES transfer to the second owner)... insignificant things like a backup camera that needed replaced and some minor vibrations on the interior that just needed tightening up.

Let me tell you though, almost the MINUTE that warranty was up parts started falling off this thing like a cartoon. We just had to take it in for a $450 oil pressure sensor that caused us to lose the entire contents of our engine oil in less than an hour. That's a MAJOR engine component and WOULD have been covered under the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty... EXCEPT it doesn't transfer to the second owners. I've owned cars with 200,000 miles on them that never needed an oil pressure sensor replaced. That is a major engine component that should last the life of the vehicle.

I'm terribly disappointed in this vehicle and Kia service in general. If you absolutely have your heart set on one of these, intend to have it paid off and traded in by the end of your 60,000 mile warranty or it's going to cost you thousands per year to keep it limping along.

Great Car Except..the minor NON DEPLOYING AIR BAGS
By Whitney Alt

2011 Kia Sorento 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love this car. Seriously I do. Which is why I am sickened about the safety issue I have learned about with Kia's air bags. I read several reviews on here before I purchased it and am disappointed none where about the air bags. My air bag light came on suddenly. Vehicle was not involved in any sort of accident. Took it in and bottom line I had to have an entire new driver side air bag and assembly replaced. When I question how the heck an air bag needs to be replaced with out being in an accident or tampered with Dealer says, "It just happens, the air bag is defective." Well I wasnt going to drive around in a vehicle who's driver side air bag was not functioning. So I coughed up $1300 to get it fixed. Figured I'd go after Kia after the fact. They have told me no, and no again. One of the reps tried telling me this isn't a safety issue. Seriously? Anyways, I will get my money out of them. In the mean time a little internet research reveals several, several stories of people who did not have an air bag light on and where in roll over or other serious collisions and NO air bags deployed. Scary. Wonder if the rest of my air bags will work in a collision...?