Used 2006 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

I'll never buy another Kia!
By syeats618

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really love the look of my Sorento, however it has been a disappointment.
The brake lights have gone out so many times I've lost count, the headlights have burned out, interior lights have burned out, the windshield wiper fluid won't come out, the brakes have been replaced, the tires have been replaced and the jack is too small for the SUV.
I had to use 3 different jacks from my neighbors just to clear the tire from the ground to change it.
I have just over 61,000 miles on it so the warranty is now out and I have the windshield wiper issue and the light on my console is out.
I don't know if it's worth repairing but the sad thing is that I only have 1 more year before it's paid off.

I love the exterior. To me it looks like the shape of the BMW SUV. I also like how it drives.

The electrical problems on this SUV need to be resolved. Almost every review on this website complains about how many times the headlights and brakelights go out.

You couldn't pay me to buy another Kia!
By mm2kanda

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our Kia new Feb. 2006 when it had about 18 miles on it. In less then 6 months the check engine light came on. Not a big fan of dealerships but assuming things are under warranty we take it to the dealership in the town we live in. We are told it's not covered anymore by about 800 miles ago (CO2 sensor). We fixed it ourselves. Light still randomly comes on and goes off. We blow headlamps what had been about 3-6 months apart but now as soon as 10 days. My dash light has been randomly going off for about a year and now my dome light randomly goes on. Our dome light stopped working correctly 2 years ago. Very uncomfortable on long trips especially for tall men. Just a gag car!

HA!

Well maybe the 2011's are better but from what I've seen they are like 5k-10k more. Will that fix it?

Do NOT BUY!
By Eli

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Sorento new in 2006. Within 2 months of driving it off the lot, I had to replace a tire. At the 3 month mark, the check engine light began coming on repeatedly. In 4 years, I have gone through 2 and a half sets of tires, several tail lights and headlamps. NOW, my air compressor went out and the dealership wants $800+ to fix. Although this is an affordable car initially, it will cost you in the long run. It looks nice, but is not fuel efficient and it makes random noises when you are driving. I regret trading my Corolla for this. I will be getting another Toyota ASAP!

Comfortable Interior

Better electrical

"Killed In Action!"
By K8

2006 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I hate to think i spent all that money on a car i worry about more than my physical health after a roll over that almost took my life at age 27. Kia on the west side of Olympia have been more of a problem then the car. Check engine light (they cleared without fixing), wheel bearing x2 in the shop yesterday & it's my fault at 60k, pulls, shakes, squeaks, break light countless times has been replaced, how it rides scares me to death. I worry about a new problem more then the price of gas. I promise I will tell 1,000 if not more people that this car is the "biggest waste of time & money ever spent." I hate this car! My lifted 04 Rubicon is safer, even after it rolled x5 at 70 mph!

It went 113 mph once in comfort.

The way it handles, all the censors and get the warranties right. "To say one thing and do another is a LAIR!"

Worst car ever
By Dontdoit!

2006 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I don't have enough room to get too detailed but its been in the shop since 5k miles so far 21 times for electrical problems, brake lights, headlights, check engine light coming on, new transmission, brakes X3, u-joints, huge vibration on floor board, squealing belts and KIA acts as if this is my fault and it only has 67k miles on it. I will NEVER buy another Kia as long as I live. I read the posting and there seems to be alot of the same problems I am having with mine. Now its value dropped so much I cant even exchange the vehicle for something else. It's a dangerous car to have, therefore retained an attorney.

roomy

Electrical, engine, transmission, brakes, belts