Used 2004 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

I'm Pleased Overall
By John Schleifer

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I"ve had the car for over 5 years now. I wanted to get quality and resale. However, the resale and problems are not that must different than American cars which I've always purchased. Not too many problems, but, as usual, when taking the car in for the minor problems, under warranty, they "cannot duplicate condition." However, now that my warranty has expired, they seem to find the issues ricght away when I'm paying for the repairs. Go figure. Probably my last Kia. Problems included: leaking radiator overflow tank, Air-Bag light, outdoor temperature guage (ner repaired by the way). Gas Miliage is terrible. My wife's Cheyy Avalanche gets better miliage!

Looks. Extra Features.

Gas Miliage! Confort of seats. Maybe I'm getting old but Ford/Chevy have softer leather seats!

Initial enthusiasm has drained
By Brian

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After overcoming many minor problems (tail lights burning out, clock not working, door ajar constantly coming on, etc.), I thought that overall I enjoyed driving my little SUV. Heat has now stopped working and I think it to be a cracked coolant reservoir which seems to be a recurring problem with Kia Sorento. This needs to be a warranty issue - if you don't fix the problem - your engine will overheat!! Crankshaft bolt failing three times and the numerous times I've had to spend trying to get all of the minor things fixed, my patience is waning. Problems are getting more serious and my time is too valuable to be spending in the shop. Love the style, fun to drive - but wouldn't recommend.

Style, fun to drive.

All the nagging electrical issues (fuel gauge, lights, clock, sensors, etc.). Coolant reservoir cracking is a major issue. Crankshaft bolt shearing is a major problem.

Great except for headlights
By wisconsin owner

2004 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 78K miles on my 2004 Sorento. I have had great luck with the engine and original brakes and tires both lasted 75K miles. But I have replaced front headlights 9 times. Different bulb types, with gloves on, both at the same time, but they never last more than 6 months. Frustrating!!

Don't Waste Your Money
By Gary Kelemen

2004 Kia Sorento EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At 80000 miles, the ICV valve broke and damaged the engine. After 2 months of warranty work, there is a persistent oil leak that the only dealership within 30 miles cannot fix. I spent $600 on auto rental during warranty repair. It just isn't worth owning. Run away from KIA!!

The Sorento is a fun vehicle to drive when it is drivable.

Poor build quality. Poor gas mileage. Poor timing belt (plastic) Need KIA mechanics who can actually fix KIA vehicles.

will never buy kia wouldn't recommend
By Angie

2004 Kia Sorento LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've had problems with this SUV from the word go, (bearing & brakes & engine bolt recall) when you called Kia, they give you the run around, I wish I never seen this SUV. Money gone out the window!

NONE