Used 2004 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Do not buy!
By soccerella

2004 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Kia at first. It was a great size..it drove smooth. Then after only 2 months a part broke which was fortunately being recalled. Now not even a year later it overheated and the crank shaft broke. will be 5-7 thousand dollars to fix. Paid cash for the car and now I'm out 6200. Can't even trade it in. If you have these problems tell them to look at the coolant leak before they fix anything else. That's where the major problem comes from. Once it starts overheating it's over. Thanks for nothing Kia.

I loved the size of this car which is what made me buy it over all.

Build it better Kia. The crank shaft needs to be rethought. Also what's up with the coolant reservoir..it cracked and messed up the whole car.

Great Value, Safe, minor inssues
By sbettencourt21

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Sorento for almost 2 years now and it has been very reliable I have had a couple problems with sensors which were covered under warranty. I feel I got a great deal on the car and I feel extremely safe in it with my children. Repairs I have had to pay for were very low cost such as lights which have to be replaced on any car. The 4wd works great in the snow on steep hills I have never been happier with a vehicle and there is plenty of leg room for my height. however back seat would be a tight squeeze for 3. We currently only fit 2 car seats

reliability, comfort, and safety

electrical. heated seats went out quick and lights. Also had to replace reservoir tank and a few sensors

Will never buy Kia again
By shawna

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Sorento 2 years ago with 46,000 miles on it, since then we have had nothing but problems. The clock never worked, and the radio never worked. We have brought it in for recall repairs a number of times. Now at 63,000 miles the engine started rattling, the warning lights came on, and it won't steer. It is our family vehicle and we only average 11,000 miles per year.

Everything!

Poor
By Jeannie Benson

2004 Kia Sorento EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am very unhappy with my 2004 Kia Sorento First the water overflow tank went bad, both sides of the front end had to be replaced, multiple sensors. the head lights and tails lights continually go out. We have had to get the air charge the last 3 years and now it doesn't work at all and I still owe 3 months worth. Can't wait to be done with this lemon!

Glad to be rid of it!
By Julie

2004 Kia Sorento LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had nothing but problems from the time I bought my Kia brand new. Crack in the drive shaft with less than 300 miles on it a month after I bought it. Constant electrical problems that the dealer couldn't fix: brake lights out every 3 months, headlights out every 6 months. Both headlights blew out at the same time once! $400+ to replace sensors, including throttle and airbag, which warranty had just expired (conveniently). Bad catalytic converter, which went bad 2K miles after warranty expired. This is the WORST purchase of my life. The only reason I didn't get rid of it sooner was because I was STUCK with it: they depreciate too fast you can't trade them in. PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE @ its best!

Smooth ride, nice exterior look

Better gas mileage, fix the electrical problems!