Used 2004 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Never again
By Wyllies

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 50k miles. I had issues within the first week and Precision made me take it to Kia (warranty) and they said we were good. Then it has been down hill. Headlights go out constantly, 4wheel drive constantly on (when the switch is off) check engine light and airbag light is constantly on. I have put money in this car that I don't have and the last time I took it in there were 6 new recalls within it. I will never by a Kia again. The worst part is the trade in value is not good either. So instead of paying this off and using it I will have to get another vehicle and continue making payments. I am stressed driving this car especially with my kids in it.

It is as easy as a car to park and the speakers in the car are Bose, which makes a great sound.

Recall these vehicles! I have been pulled over many times because of the headlight going out for no reason. Fix the 4x4 issues, anyone that has a 2006 and under should get a giant credit toward the price of the car, so they can get a reliable car. I feel unsafe in this vehicle and that is not fair

Extreme Disappointment
By R. Effingham

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Reading these reviews is like listening to myself complain about this car. I have paint peeling off the roof & mirros, my sunroof won't close properly, I have rust on the trunk, I've replaced two back lights & one front, currently have coolant leaking so heater won't work, have had a/c recharged & again it's not working, light on radio and clock go out, bent steering shaft, and many other little items. Very disappointed, and if I thought I could get what I owed I'd walk away. But can't imagine anyone would pay what I owe for what's left of the car. After replacing the coolant reservoir my next expense will be to have the rust spots repaired. Fun. fun.

I enjoy the roomy interior, and the height of the vehicle. The handling for the most part is smooth. I enjoy the set up of the radio. But step outside of the car and depression hits when you see the rust. Sad that sunroof-a/c-heater doesn't work.

KIA needs to be a stand up company. See that thousands of owners are having the same problems with the same year vehicle and start recalling. We're honest Americans trying to have a nice vehicle for our families, and KIA is making our lives miserable. Will NEVER own another KIA.

Love driving it - hate the recent fixes
By Barb

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner. 140,000. Other than the headlight and coolant reservoir issues that ALL 04 Sorentos seem to have, I've replaced the throttle position sensor. Has been reliable and though mostly highway miles, it has never needed brakes (knowing how to drive a stick has helped with that). Doesn't eat tires, and get about 21 mpg. However, PCV and Catalytic Conv. need replacing now. Will be paid off next month and has NO resale value. Will drive it 'til the wheels fall off (fun off road), but hope I can get the parts for my mechanic for the current and upcoming fixes. Almost all must be purchased at the dealer.

Great SUV for off road. I put larger tires on. Runs with the big dogs in the dirt. Roomy inside. looks good.

Fix the sticking relay switches, headlight replacement, and coolant reservoir problems. Also - anytime I get near 70 mph, the drivetrain vibrates - that never got resolved and when it was out of warranty, it was ignored by the dealer service.

Annoying!
By mariebee

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sorento brand new in 2004. Did my homework before I purchased it and people seemed to like it - at that time. I've had it for 6 years now and I've had to buy a new battery every year for 5 years because the factory installed CD (which was replaced twice) was using up all the juice. I've had to replace tail lights every year. The last 6 months, I've shelled out over $500 because of coolant reservoir leaks, after I paid off the dang thing.

Fun to drive, nice exterior looks

Fix electrical and coolant leak problems!

Disappointed owner
By Tanya DeMyer

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but problems with the electrical - head/tail lights out every 3-4 months, clock, interior lights, thermometer for outside temp all stopped working. Exterior paint started chipping when the car was only 2 yrs old.