Used 2004 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Sorento SUV

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

Please Recall This Junk
By sniper_munkee

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So two months after I purchased this used no warranty they told us it'd take over 4000 to fix so it's been sitting in my backyard for the last three years. Still making payments on it.

Recall the pos so that we can get something different.

Please Buyer Beware
By ambeaubian

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I foolishly purchased a 2004 Kia Sorento EX, in 2009, to date I have replaced the following, Crankshaft, rings, bearings, head qasket, radiator, oil pump. At a tune of 5300.00, at that time is how much I owed to pay it off. I now have a burning smell and smoke every morning that I drive it..No mechanic knows why it occurs, Also have the lights to be replaced rear and front, at least 6 times, my dash lights do not come on at all. Then the paint is chipping off of the hood. If the car stays running, its semi-reliable . If there is another two grand I have to put in this car. I will be buying a new one...A Ford.

If It will work, Its alright vehicle to drive. Its comfortable to a point.

Kia needs to recall these SUV's for the electrical issues period. There should be no reason, that replacing Batteries, lights, wiring issues should not occur this frequently. The sensors all of the issues that other KIA owners are complaining about.

caveat emptor
By mhuntz

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

don't be fooled by the "rating" for this vehicle. most posts prior to 2007 are positive. after that, a precipitous fall off in satisfaction. intoxication from "new car smell', "i love you's" and chocolates (in the form of warranty promises from Kia) subside. after the romance, sobriety sets in. the love in the relationship gets tested. and when the $$$ strain hits the relationship, your lover (Kia) tells you to
no longer believe in their commitment to the relationship. ("sorry about misleading you" , they exclaim, as they refuse to honor their vows (warranty coverage). Best get a divorce from this loser. Hope you had a pre-nup.

The ones that still operate.

reimburse the hard-working people you've fraudulently duped.

DONT BUY THIS JUNK!!!!!
By sniper_munkee

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Constant disappointment. I was told it would take over 5000.00 to fix this junker. It's been sitting for over a year since I found that out. Now I don't know what to do and I'm still making payments on it.

Leather seats dvd player

Make it more reliable.

Great car with 239K miles
By Paul

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

239,000 Miles and is still going strong. I am still very pleased and had no major mechanical issues. It rides very comfortably and has not developed any annoying squeaks or rattles. The interior has held up as well if not better than my previous Acura and Volvo. Great sound system. Maintenance has been about average and I have replaced the timing belt twice at 80K miles and 160K miles. If you are considering the '04 Sorento be sure that the 2 recalls (crankshaft pulley bolt and the intake manifold butterfly valve) have been done. Replace the coolant tank with the redesigned one. no increase in oil use even with 239K miles. Average about 20- 21 MPG HWY. Better than the 19 listed.

I average about 45,000 miles per year and the ride is very smooth and patronizingly quiet. Not tiring to drive. The styling has held up well, and does not look dated. The engine performance seems well matched to the car. The Audio system (on the EX) is the best I have heard in a production car.

Aux Audio jack.