Used 2012 Kia Rio Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

carbon built up will catch a fire
By spectrans

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

if 87000 kia forte recalled due to fire hazard, what do you think, how many rios are affected? none? if carbon deposits are build up, pressure and temperature rises, and if lucky, a fuse will blow and a car will not operate and a dealership will tell you: no problem found; if not so lucky, you'll car will burn, like forte and then they will make up some wiring fault, ...these cars are good with low miles, but when you put enough miles, sooner or later, due to carbon deposits, they will loose power, acceleration, start to leak, and so on - and the manufacturer are simply ignoring the problem or covering with something else

would buy again
By Judy Davie

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

This has been the perfect car for me. The 100,000 mile/10 year warrantee gives me peace of mind, and when I have had an issue, it has always been covered 100%. Even when my key attachment on my key fob broke. I am 5'6" and the driver's seat and dash are perfect for me. There is a significant blind spot at 5:00 and 7:00 but the mirrors compensate for that. Can be annoying when backing out of a shopping mall parking space. And passengers often voice surprise at how low the passenger seat sits. The only other negative is the road noise which on interstates can be quite loud. The car has a lot of trunk space with a deceptively large amount of vertical storage. The rear seats fold down for even more space to transport oversized objects. Overall, however, I am thrilled with the car and would definitely buy it again.

Stylish small car
By Todd Flom

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

Great car for the price, good gas mileage and has a good look

Disappointment!
By commuter12

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback EX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6A)

My 12 Rio5 has 37k highway miles. The car has been a total disappointment. The car has received road blast and rusted after the past 2 winters. Trim inside has just fallen down due to disappearing clips. "Leather" steering wheel delaminated. Vent fan bearings going. Tires were garbage and mileage was not as advertised. The car was a real waste of money. Needless to say, I will be at the dealership again next week. Save yourself the hassle and stay away from these Kia beauties.

Hands free calling is about it.

Make the car out of metal that wasn't rejected for razor blades?!?!? Maybe a QA on the production line?

All I wanted & more
By davedito

2012 Kia Rio Hatchback LX 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my '12 Rio 5 LX one year ago last month...almost 27,000 miles...and I could not be happier. A month after I bought it (at 2,000 miles), I drove from the Hill Country to Joshua Tree NP in southrn California, about 2,400 miles round trip. At 80mph, I averaged 35mph. Not what the sticker said for highway mileage, but they didn't test at those speeds, either. Sine then, I' driven to Caprock Canyons, Angel Peak (NM), and Myrtle Beach, SC (averaged 40mpg at 70mph). I just love driving this thing. If you're not getting decent mileage, you must be doing something wrong. Seriously wrong.

The new body styling is a vast improvement over previous models, and the electric power sterring is nice. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes and traction control are a big plus, too. Steering wheel mounted radio controls are cool, and the glove box is huge.

I found the seat to be a bit hard at first, but it's breaking in. And the left foot rest could be set back a few more inches. My biggest complaint (if you want to call it that) is the spongy throttle response. At 138hp, with a 6 speed stick, this little car should *move*. I'll see how well it does with the clutch disconnect unplugged. I'm running an open filter, too, so it can breathe better. The dealer should have a computer flash that improves performance. It could use a center console armrest as well, and a spare tire (instead of that fix-a-flat kit).