Used 2008 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Don't buy
By anonymous

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This car is junk. It handles horribly in the snow. After only two years I had to replace both wheel bearings, my check engine light came on, I've had to replace all four tires. It's too small and it hate that I don't have keyless entry. This car has ruined my experience with Kia so much that I will never purchase another.

CD player

Better handling in the snow, automatic windows and locks and keyless entry.

Our little zoom zoom
By Kelli

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really love this car. But the seats are awful. I was rear ended in this car by a car traveling 45 mph, my back is sore, but the car looks like it's never been hit. The guy that hit me said it was like hitting a sponge. Also, too bad there's no trade in value to these cars.

fun to drive other than the seats

most def. the seats and arm rest too

Still Truckin
By cf

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

What can you say when gas prices are over $3, 35 MPH +. I am concerned as others have expressed that the slow shift in the auto transmission may result in some type of future problems. My car at 46000 miles is getting worse. The service dealerships are too few and far between. Otherwise so far so excellent. No problems just regular maintenence. I own 2 Hondas and have the Kia as a work car and drive it excessively. I don't even get into the Honda's, a real shame that I am paying for them.The lx version with power package has 6 speakers and one is blown, so annoying. Great system for such an inexpensive car though.

Has little things that one would not expect for the price.

More comfortable seats, a must. Better plastics, too cheap looking. A middle arm rest with storage, not the toothpick that is provided, don't put too much weight on it. Oh and more comfortable seats. Get rid of the black molding that wraps the car, still tacky.

Nice, a no frills but great on gas car.
By rkkeller

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Rio as I needed an inexpensive but good on gas car. I was not expecting a lot but I really like it and glad I bought it. It is fun to drive and handles well but it can be slowish at times. The interior is really roomy for a small car and its way bigger on the inside than you might think. I have a Jeep Cherokee and the Rio has way more front seat room and better seats too. The radio with single CD and 4 speaker setup sounds nice and is just loud enough if you want to turn it up. It might not be loud enough for some though but for me its fine.

I have the LX model and the rear seats fold down so the back and trunk are combined. This makes for a lot of room and I can fit many things a car without this would. It also has A/C which some Rio models don't.

Nothing really as it is what it is. An inexpensive great on gas no frills car. If you start adding a lot of things then it would not be this.

My other car is a Rio...
By Big John

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've been sold on Kia since 2001. Always a long distance runner, I need a car with better than average MPG and durability. The other things don't really matter. I want some money in my pocket after the bills are paid. Before 2001 I was driving a 1970 Pontiac Catalina for 15 years. It ran great until my nit-wit son took it for a spin. He spun out and drove it into a tree. It had huge miles on it. The Catalina averaged 18 MPG. All my Rio's average 35. It doesn't take long for the savings to pay for the car. Essentially I am driving a new car for free. The 2001 made a lot of noise but so does a Harley. You don't get wet in a Rio. A 2008 much quieter. I also own an '01, '03, and '06.

Gas mileage and warranty big factors. Some stripped down Rios can be bought for around $8K if you search the web. I bought one in '03 for $6K and installed a beautiful radio from Best Buy for $300. All Rio's come with a speaker system even a radio delete version. 150K on it, still runs great.

Finding a reputable service department. Few and far between. Look for service awards. Few in West Virginia. No bargains here either. I bought all my Kia's out of state. Saved thousands. 300 mile drive to Columbus, Ohio saved $8K on the '06. Paid $10K. 140K miles now. Lousy trade-in values.