Used 2008 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Don't buy
By anonymous

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This car is junk. It handles horribly in the snow. After only two years I had to replace both wheel bearings, my check engine light came on, I've had to replace all four tires. It's too small and it hate that I don't have keyless entry. This car has ruined my experience with Kia so much that I will never purchase another.

CD player

Better handling in the snow, automatic windows and locks and keyless entry.

Great Car at a good price
By smalltownsouthernman

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car pre-owned with only 4000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems out of it to date. I do notice that when i drive it after sitting over night the rear brakes tend to be touchy and squeak some. The engine also tends to have a little rattle to it when it is cold. Not sure why it does that but once it warms up it is flawless. it may have something to do with the CVT.

I have had several comments on the sporty interior (SX RIO5). I like the AUX jack for my Iphone, and the sound system sounds decent.

Cruise Control would be nice, lose the plastic trim around the exterior. I noticed they dropped it on the new models for 2010 :). Shorter shifter would make gear changes smoother. Disc Brakes in the rear would be a nice addition to the good brakes already available. A six-speed would make it perfect

Our little zoom zoom
By Kelli

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I really love this car. But the seats are awful. I was rear ended in this car by a car traveling 45 mph, my back is sore, but the car looks like it's never been hit. The guy that hit me said it was like hitting a sponge. Also, too bad there's no trade in value to these cars.

fun to drive other than the seats

most def. the seats and arm rest too

Still Truckin
By cf

2008 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

What can you say when gas prices are over $3, 35 MPH +. I am concerned as others have expressed that the slow shift in the auto transmission may result in some type of future problems. My car at 46000 miles is getting worse. The service dealerships are too few and far between. Otherwise so far so excellent. No problems just regular maintenence. I own 2 Hondas and have the Kia as a work car and drive it excessively. I don't even get into the Honda's, a real shame that I am paying for them.The lx version with power package has 6 speakers and one is blown, so annoying. Great system for such an inexpensive car though.

Has little things that one would not expect for the price.

More comfortable seats, a must. Better plastics, too cheap looking. A middle arm rest with storage, not the toothpick that is provided, don't put too much weight on it. Oh and more comfortable seats. Get rid of the black molding that wraps the car, still tacky.

It's a Kia...
By Dreamorpheus

2008 Kia Rio Rio5 LX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Within the first year of owning the car, both front wheel-bearings went out. Twice each. Needs an O/D or 6th gear, MPG dwindles at highway speeds. The interior is rather gray, 'bout four different shades of gray, makes your soul sad. Have a issue with the driver- side window crank; keep smacking my knee on it, knocking off the knob. You also can't really sleep in the hatch, bit cramped, and the floors not flat. As unpleasing, and some times annoying this all may be, it's still a good little car. Its a grate car to buy new, by the end of the warranty you can just throw it away. It handles like a go-cart, gets good MPG in town, CHEAP, and they fix almost anything for the life of the car.

Price, could not beat it. front-end resembles Pikachu. Warranty included tiers for life. Car is inconspicuous, always a plus. handles like a go-cart. little cubbyholes. And the arrow that tells you which side you gas-cap is.

Needs a six speed, or an OD. Was not as good in the winter as I'd hoped. A little Spunk in the interior would be appreciated. Lacking in leg room, but kinda expected. I would also like to move the AUX.input for the stereo, get in the way. Ashtray should be standard