Used 2008 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Great little gas saver!
By tracyb4

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Kia Rio new, with 28 miles on it, and now have over 60k miles on it.
It came with a great warranty and I've had all scheduled maintenance required to keep the warranty active.
I have never had any trouble out of it.
The only cons I can mention is that the brakes sound like they are grinding when you first apply them in a damp or wet environment, but after the first application that sound goes away.
I have them checked every time I go in for service and they are always ok.
The other thing is the fact that the ride is a little noisier than I prefer, but you will find that to be the case with all small cars.
I average about 33-35 mpg.
Keep up the maintenance, it will last!

Great gas mileage. Very responsive handling. Surprisingly roomy trunk. Great head room for a small vehicle. Sporty look.

Back seat needs more leg room. Not the greatest car for carrying adult passengers.

Will never buy again!
By lindseyh26

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car back in 2008. I have had to replace things i shouldnt have had to replace already. Replaced bearings, rotars, i go through tires like no ones business, and timing belt has to be replaced about ever 30,000 miles. (rio's are known for that) other than that the car is pretty good, but i would never purchase one again. They will last forever, but you have to always be replacing something.

great on MPG

the interior is just a bunch of plastic crap!

Be carefull of the brakes!
By smith3425

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Be very careful of the brakes. I had to slam on my breaks for the first time after 2 years of owning the car. Another car pulled in front of me and stopped and when I hit the brakes the card just slid. I had no control of the car at all. My children and I slid across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic and right off the road nearly getting hit several times. After the breaks lock there is no controlling the car at all. Ever since I have been terrified to even drive the speed limit for fear that I will have to hit the brakes. If you are concerned about buying a car with top notch safety features this is not the one for you!

Color, gas mileage, spacious trunk.

Improve the brakes. There is no reason that a car should put a family in danger like this.

beware
By gmclover1

2008 Kia Rio Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

this is in response to some who say they need to purchase a good car great on gas. This car does ok with those two aspects but I recently had to take the car in to have the motor taken out of the car for the air conditioner. Not under warranty when they say it is your fault and you have put papers in the glove box!!! Who says you can't put papers in the glove box, there was nothing saying we couldn't, but now that the air conditioner has sucked in my oil change receipt, because of their design flaw in leaving a hole in the glove box, I shouldn't have to pay for this, now they are saying I cannot have my car back if I don;t because they fixed it!!! Did they fix the hole?????

THIS CAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By pinkpanda

2008 Kia Rio Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

this car has had problems since 1 year after buying it brand new i have had transmission promblems about 5 or 6 times and they say its something else the service people mess up stuff that i have to take back to have them fix the still havent fixed my transmission they are very rude and i would not tell anyone to buy one of these cars they will screw you over on the warenty and when its over they will finally tell you whats been wrong with your car the whole time so that you have to pay for it they need to do there job or go out of business