Used 2006 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Kia Rio

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

brake problems and gas pedal problems
By karen

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased because of the cost and size along with good mileage. I have had 3 brake cylinders replaced in less than 1 year two of them on the same side and still my brakes are squeaky and at times making noises that I have never had before in any vehicle I have ever driven. They seem unwilling or unable to diagnose the real problem. I am very disatisfied with the car. Problems with the gas pedal sticking 1st thing in the morning and they are unable to find the problem with that as well. I'm unhappy with the car.

hatchback

Better carpet and better finish. Close the large gap in the front seats so you don't lose everything you put on the seat to the floor of the backseat.

My newly purchaced used Rio.
By Marc Trainor

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I'm basically pleased with the car. It's a lot like my old Honda Civic I had with a 5 speed manual, but to me the Honda just "feels" and looks like it has better build quality. I only have 22K miles on it, so I guess only time will tell if it holds up. It doesn't have the power my Mitsubishi Galant has, but my Galant only gets 23 mpg city driving. My only other real beef is that I'm only getting 27.5 mpg with the Rio with combined city/highway driving. Other than that, it's a snappy little "bundle" with decent trunk room and back seat and has a fair amount of pep as long as your not trying to pass someone going up hill.

Pretty good "bang for the buck". Has enough power to get around OK. Has CD player, AC, dual mirrors, fold down back seats.

Wish the fuel mileage was better. Feels a little cheaply made. Maybe some "real" looking carpet on the floor, or something. Needs a little better suspension at higher speeds. Kind of noisy.

Great Car, Great Value, Great MPG!
By Keith

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Was planning on buying a Honda Civic, but after test driving this '06 Rio, it seemed to be an equal in quality car, but cost $3k to $4k less than comparable Honda Civic. I've put 7,000 miles in 5 mo. So what if no power windows? I can reach across and hand crank the windows with ease! It developed a leak under the frontal area @ 32K miles. KIA dealer replaced seal, still leaked. KIA dealer then replace WHOLE TRANSMISSION @ NO COST TO ME!!! Their warranty is the REAL DEAL! I won't hesitate to buy another KIA. I consistently get 30 mpg in town and at least 35 mpg on highway. I added power locks and cruise for < $600. I LIKE MY '06 KIA RIO!!!

Peppy engine (w/5 spd. tranny). Sound system, fold down armrest for driver. Remote levers for fuel door & trunk. VERY QUIET RIDE. I'm 5'10" & 220#. VERY COMFORTABLE RIDE!

I added power locks & cruise control for comfort & convenience. I added tinted windows & spoiler for a sport look. Total aftermarket cost = $800. MONEY WELL SPENT!!!

Wonderful Car
By Andrew

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Kia for just over two years and it's still doing excellent. I'm coming up on 20k mileage and nothing has broken or been replaced outside it's maintenance. Very reliable if taken care of, and well worth the money.

Sound system, gas mileage, always a smooth ride, tight turning radius, and very spacious front seating and trunk space for a compact.

I'm a pretty big guy so anyone having to sit behind me is very cramped. Gas mileage, while good, still has room for improvement. Still a little peeved I had to opt for the "power package" just for them to include anti-lock brakes, which should be installed by default.

Nice car
By David J

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The car now has 14,000 miles and so far no problems. It handles/drives very nicely for a car of this class. I test drove a Nissan Sentra and a Honda Civic and they did not drive as good as this Kia. It is quiet on the road even at highway speeds. It performs well, engine is peppy. The automatic transmission shifts very smoothly. It steers/brakes excellently, turns nicely. Radio sounds great. Trunk has spacious room for this type of car, especially with rear seat backs folded down. I get 32.7 MPG combined with mostly city/heavy urban driving. You get good value for the money with this car.

comfortable drive, looks, sound of radio, gas mileage, interior room, trunk space, gauges on dash laid out nicely for easy view, you can open trunk and gas cap door with latches on drivers floor board, good outside views through windshields and side windows

arm rest for passenger side, better designed console, tinted glass, I would like to see 45-50 MPG with this car