Used 2005 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Beware the timing belt
By Phil Hall

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Normally, I would say that this is a nice car, decent (not great) milage, good features, all in all an ok vehicle. But there is one thing you need to make sure of: the timing belt. It says to replace it every 60000 miles, I would replace that far sooner because this is an interference engine--if the belt breaks when the car is running your engine will be shot. As in dead. New car time. This design choice alone must account for the lower Reliability rating. There is no reason whatsoever that a single point of failure should destroy an engine.

Seats 4 adults, decent milage, fun to drive.

a non-interference engine design, a little better fuel economy, and replace the timing belt with a chain. These three changes would make the Rio a much better value.

Get What You Give
By grinddesigns

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Follow your owners manual like it is a Bible. You must change your engine timing belt at 60,000 miles ! Please do not make the same mistake that I did. If you search the Internet about this you will find 1,000 other people saying this, trust me change that timing belt at 60,000 and you won't be sorry. I never had a problem with this vehicle that was not because of my own negligence. If you change your oil regularly, keep an eye on all of your fluids, and be sure to change the timing belt at 60k, this car will be worth the money. This was my first vehicle and I learned costly lessons from not following the regular maintenance schedule so I advise you to follow most of it to a t.

Gas mileage, speaker system, spacious trunk,

It is what it is.

What A Great Deal
By Noru

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my daughter for school, only to find out that I really like this car for myself, too bad it's her car and I’m out of luck. I paid $3700 plus tax, tags, title. The price was right because the first owner fails to change the timing belt at 60K miles, and timing belt broke and ruined the original engine. Kia dealer replaced engine and now the car runs like brand new. So don’t forget to change timing belt ever 60k miles. The gas mileage is great, am getting between 36-40 on the highway and 27-29 in town. I drive this car like an old man going nowhere in a hurry. I will check out a used 2006 Kia Rio for myself next time I need a car.

The interior of the car is nice, it has a stable highway and in town ride, the noise level is acceptable for such a small cheap car. This is a very good town car and I’m going to keep it as long as we can. Very reliable so far and everything works on the car. Great gas mileage.

Better window seal to keep wind leaks out, air condition unit will restrain engine power in around town driving, but ok on the highway.

Kazipster
By Homunculus Moonchild

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased a Kia Rio Sedan and it is totally awesome. Great on Gas. The interior layout is pretty smooth. I especially enjoy the cup holders in the main console as well as the side door panels. This car zips around. I have a manual transmission because I do not like automatic I enjoy driving I find it to be much more interactive. I would definitely recommend the Rio to any one. I got the auto under $7,000 and it is basically a brand new car with 19k on it.

AC Audio is decent Arm rest totally cool Cup Holders It's Zippiness. Saves on Gas!

Sun Roof Less of a dome top it is kinda bubblish. Maybe an arm rest for the passenger. I show people and they begin looking for theirs. Other than that excellent vehicle for the price and not too shabby looking either.

Fun, Cute, and Reliable
By EJP1978

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a few cars before this one, including a Ford Tempo '91, and a Volvo from 1990. (Volvo is a great car, but old ones become money pits when old parts start wearing out all at once. NOT a cheap vehicle.) The Rio is a great car because of reliability. And of course the number one thing is gas mileage. The 2005 does pretty good, somewhere around 30-32 on highway. (At least for mine.) Even in bad traffic it's not too hard on the gas tank. Unfortunately only months ago it cost about $25-$30 to fill the little Rio's tank, but nowadays it's getting close to $40. Fuel economic or not, America is going to make driving nearly impossible in say six months...

I have a gray interior and I love it. Awesome color combo with the white exterior. I love the rear taillights, they are stylish! And the whole car is designed nicely, it's an adorable vehicle. The stereo is simple and easy to use, and produces some nice sound!

Though the car is quite peppy when running normally (I speed by people all the time on the highway, passing is fun!) , if the A/C is on, a definite lag is noticed. If you "get on" the car, you can maintain your speed, but it's a bit of a pain sometimes. Fuel injectors get dirty too easily.