Used 2005 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!
By krol

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

The Kia Rio 2005, it's been my first car. I had it now since 2007, I had a couple problems with the axle. But nothing super expensive, or unfix-able plus this is a used car. People tell me it feels like you are in a go car, which i dont mind it actually feels cool! It is comfy and perfect for a petite person. After all there years still works perfect!!!!!!!!!! Oh the gas is good!

Small car, comfy, can fit anywhere, and goes fast!!! Easy to customize and Cute car too!

Don't even think about it...
By aeblanch09

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I got this car for my first car and i am desperately trying to get rid of this thing! Two weeks after i got it, 2 of my belts needed replacing. Not only did the dealer keep it for 3 weeks to "fix it", the day that i got it back the fan stopped working and my car overheated. Needless to say we sent it back to the dealer. They fixed the fan, but ever since then i've been having radiator problems. Constant overheating, had to replace all sensors, etc.. Not worth a penny, but if you do decide to get one make sure you keep a full jug of coolant in your back seat!

I have no likes about this car, the only thing i can say is that it is easy to drive...if it's drivable at that moment.

Stop making this car, it's junk.

Worst mistake ever made!
By Unhappy

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased the Kia Rio from a local Kia dealer and have regretted it ever since. Bought it for $8k, got $2k off for a trade in. It was the most adorable car I'd ever driven, but I shouldn't have let it blind me. The salesman took me on a predetermined route and wouldn't let me go on the highway or let my mechanic peek at it first. It was at about 55,600 miles when I bought it and about three months after I bought the car the engine died at about 56,500 miles. This is apparently a known issue but Kia has done nothing about it. Total estimated cost of repairs for that was quoted at $2600 and I decided it wasn't worth it.

Got great gas mileage during the three months it ran, looked cute and sporty.

Everything under the hood.

Fairly Happy
By Ricky

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I got this little Rio about a month ago and so far I am pretty happy with it. I feel like I got a great deal on the car and the fact the car was going to be better on gas than my old '91 Dakota. While the fuel consumption on this car isn't too bad, I definitely feel like it could be better. The engine is a bit lethargic for highway driving and the car itself does tend to feel a little "unsafe" doing anything over 60 mph. The interior is bigger than what someone would judge it would be by the outside. Handling is pretty precise and it extremely light! Overall, this car seems dependable and practical so far.

I appreciate the clean layout of the dashboard and gauges. The car's size and maneuverability is great. Fuel economy has been a solid 24 mpg for me that stayed the same on a 150 mile round trip that was mostly highway. Not too bad but could be better.

I wish the engine was stronger and shifted more precisely. The engine also lags quite a bit when the A/C is on. I also feel like the exterior of the car dents and scratches easily. And why do the windshield wipers make a clicking when they are on the intermittent setting?

thrown rod-86ed engine
By Ashlee

2005 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

got 3months service out of my baby. I bought it used, stopped at a traffic light, the engine died and wouldn't start. I had it towed to the mechanic & a rod had broken & pierced the engine which is now ruined. Kia was nice, but sense I am the second owner I'm out of luck. a new engine cost more than the car is worth, so I'm out the $3,000.00 I still owe on it.