Used 2004 Kia Rio Sedan Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Kia Rio Sedan

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

My little bug
By donald roberts

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I think my Kia Rio is a pretty neat, reliable car. If I had a son or daughter I'd feel safe in giving it to either of them for a 19th birthday. It has never given me any mechanical problems to deal with and the gas mileage is pretty good too. However, I think I will trade it in on a Toyota Prius at the end of this year, if I don't buy a new home.

It has good gas mileage, and the body styling isn't bad either.

I think that Kia needs to change the Rio to a hybrid. Hybrids should be the future of automobiles in my opinion.

Great little car
By huff3

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio used, had all servicing done. Still under warranty. Had this car on a 1k trip last month. Got anywhere from 29 to 33 mpg. Had no problems at all. I have just had 60 k service done, new timing belt, etc. This must be done on time for 4 cylinder engines. This Rio is very reliable, uses no oil, is easy to park, has an adjustable driver’s seat (helps on long trips). Best thing about this car is the warranty. It is much longer than US cars and the service department never gives me a hard time. Better yet is gas mileage.

Driver arm rest, seat adjustment, gas mileage, good brakes, electric windows and auto door locks. Good visibility. Looks good.

Fold down rear seat.

Enough Car for the Road
By Light foot

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My only beef is that if you happen to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a burned out tail light, and eager to replace it before you get back on the highway, don't rely on the owner's manual for proper instructions to replace it. Even the dealer's tech had difficulty. The company needs to send every owner an addendum that truly instructs on how to replace a tail light. Otherwise you will be one frustrated driver and prone to a police stop. The existing manual has only two instructions. The second one is "Carefully remove the tail light assembly from the body." Duh!

The tachometer is the grown-up's toy.

By owning this car you will get basic transportation. After all, all cars have to follow the same rules of the road. You won't be disappointed if you do. If the company is truly interested in owners doing their own low level maintenance, the manual should be more detailed in those areas.

No Complaints here
By TheDrake

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Rio in March of 2004 and I love it to bits. I have no complaints and I think I will always own a KIA. They have impressed me with there service and I love my car.

That I have never had a warranty issue and I have heard the nightmares from other manufacturers. Warranty is awesome. It is fun to drive and does everything I need.

None, have you seen the new Rio's they are only getting better.

This car NOT OKia
By carl

2004 Kia Rio Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely disappointed in the car, have made 7 trips to the dealer for warranty service on a wind noise, door handle operation, transmission has been replaced twice within 24,000 miles and the car is way underpowered and loses speed rapidly when going up any even slight incline. God forbid you are running the air conditioner as it sucks the remaining horsepower right out of the engine and the engine runs extremely rough with the A/C compressor engaged. Great that there is a 100,000 mile warranty, but believe me you have to use it all the time! Dealership service mechanics are also incompetent.

The radio/ CD is ok, driver seat comfortable. It could be a fun little car to drive with more HP.

More horsepower to improve acceleration and performance when A/C is on, better handling.