Used 2016 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great Value
By Steven j Weil

2016 Kia Optima SXL Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From the beginning i encountered minor problems. Some factory warranty problems and did not like getting only one FOB key. Yet that's more of a dealer issue. I drove the car 18000 miles and overall it was satisfying experience. Number one feature is the good looks and the scarcity of this SXL model. Coming from a Mercedes my son and all my friends thought i was insane to trade for a Kia. Consumer reports review was very helpful. The Turbo 2.0 was very quick as well as good on gas. The interior was well appointed including red leather seats. Enjoyed a full sunroof, large trunk and an excellent sound system. The safety features were incredible which were found on only more expensive models. The blind spot sensor saved me from potential accidents. The best safety feature was the cross rear cross traffic alert. The back up camera chimed when a car was approaching from 100 feet each way! Based on the fact that I paid $26,000 for one old car with 11,000 miles on it it was worth fixing the few minor items that were not covered by warning. Especially since i got it with virtually no money down! This rates as a great buy in a used car!

It's a whole lot of car for the price
By Shawn

2016 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

It has the look and feel of German engineering, but the price and reliability of Asian technology. I bought this car after extensive research, because of it's beauty, driver mode control and shifting capability. It's not often discussed, but the Optima has 3 modes which the driver controls with the push of a button. Economy, normal and sport mode. This is extremely important to me because the car suits the mood I'm in at the moment and responds in kind. For example, if I need the power, sport mode gives an immediate throttle response with high RPM's; I can suck all the horsepower it can give. If I'm mellow and want a smooth ride while saving on gas, I switch to "eco" mode. There are a lot of positive comments I have about this car, but know this: it's a big and fairly heavy car, so don't expect it to handle like a BMW.

2016 Kia Optimamazing
By Abbie

2016 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car rides and drives like a 70k luxury car. Very roomy. Eye catching style! I get complements everywhere I go. This car can flat azz get it. Quick acceleration, Smith shifting and hugs the road like a sports car with the comfort of a luxury sedan. I have 37000 miles on it and have had NO issues. Great gas mileage I get 32 hwy and I keep my toe in the gas! Zoom zoom. ONLY problem I have found is I wanted to trade and get a 2018 but the car does not hold their value! I was offered 13k and the car is like new, garaged and maintained completely by the dealer.

Hard seats sore ass
By Jan

2016 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I'm 5' 5 and still have to have the seat all the way up to see over the hood and still do not have the vision to judge where the front of your car is. The seats are hard and long trips are very uncomfortable. When it snows the ice stays on the windshield no matter how I adjust the defrosters. It has no compass as my other autos have had. The trunk is large but the trunk lid is small and larger item won't fit. It does have a good get up and go and has always been reliable a god grocery getter but wouldn't recommend it for long distance.

Economical, yet Very Sporty Ride
By Larry K

2016 Kia Optima LX Turbo 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

First of all, this was the Engine/Transmission combo I wanted. While driving in the Standard or Eco mode can be rather dull, I ONLY drive in SPORT mode. I like the way it shifts, both up and down, as I've always used the auto/manual mode for downshifting. It has proven to be responsive and reliable after 16 months and 2 road trips of 3, 000+ miles. I had no problem exceeding 100 mph over the mountains of Tennessee and the hills of Kentucky and Ohio. The 1.6T is very adequate and surprised me with no less than 34 mpg on both trips. The Tech Package (now its the Convenience Pkg) was an excellent choice. The cabin was very quiet at high speeds, thanks to the thicker windows. The seat positions were also very comfy on long drives, thanks in part to the 12-way power seat. The added lumbar function allowed me to manipulate it to mimic a "shiatsu" massage. If you enjoy a SPORTY RIDE without lots of frills, this car deserves a test drive. If SPORTY doesn't appeal to you, opt for the 2.4 paired with the 6-speed trans, a wonderful alternative, though not as exciting.