Used 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

If the tech & transmission were a LITTLE better
By The Davy

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid LX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I tend to drive decently roughly. I bought this car after minor body work had been done thanks to a tree collision (right, carfax?), and made off with it for $10,000 exactly with only 37,000 miles on the ODO. In my 10 months of ownership, there have been a couple warranty part replacements that Colonial Kia near Richmond VA handled with grace, but NO out-of-the-ordinary maintenance has been required. It’s one of the smoothest riding non-luxury sedans I’ve ever driven, but the suspension is taut enough to let you never forget there’s a road under you. The exterior paint seems pretty cheap, getting substantially beaten up on the front end by simple highway battery, but the Interior is too-notch. The leather-wrapped steering wheel feels fantastic, the controls are very intuitive on the steering wheel and on the dash, and the seats are almost obscenely comfortable, in my opinion (5’6 @ 145 lbs). Materials are the same in front and back, unlike in the Camry, and legroom is ENDLESS. Road noise is decently isolated. Wind noise can be burdensome at very quick highway speeds (like I said, I drive pretty roughly). The engine is quiet and strong, but the transmission kills the acceleration experience, hence the 4-Star review. There is a plateau between when the electric motor peters out and the Atkinson 4 cyl kick in that makes even RELATIVELY rapid acceleration very frustrating. The transmission shifts extremely slowly and smoothly, but at the appropriate times, especially out of ECO mode. I know some people struggle with fuel economy in their Optimas, but I’ve found nothing but truth in the EPA numbers, pulling down 36 mpg combined in the middle of winter in the mountains of New Jersey. 0-60 time is 7.8 seconds on my best runs (don’t ask me how I know this). Lastly, the car is just so damn stylish. Even 5 years after its release, it still looks pretty relevant, aside from that front lip spoiler. Final recap: its 6-speed transmission doesn’t make it feel as wonderful as it seemed during the test drive (especially when you first start up the car), but the electric torque does feel VERY good on slowish starts. The interior is vey high quality for the segment, although the trunk space leaves much to be desired, albeit the hybrid battery. The exterior is beautiful and seldom seen in the unique hybrid styling. It’s been incredibly reliable over the 30,000 Miles I’ve driven it, including a Canadian road trip and months and months of pizza delivery. Lastly, I find it supremely comfortable and relaxing to drive, as long as I’m not trying to burn rubber. In my hybrid. Because I’m THAT guy.

BEST CAR I HAVE OWNED Always a happy Kia customer
By Tyler

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid LX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Worked for Kia and traded my 2012 Ford Fusion for the 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid. It was the best decision I made. This car is so good looking and has all the right features and is very comfortable. I also worked for Toyota and recently bought a 2016 Camry XLE as an extra car and I am so mad I did not get another KIA. The Optima has 71k highway miles and I have not had to change the pads or rotors as of yet the only thing I have done is oil and air filter. This car rides like a dream and just looks so good I cannot say enough good things about my KIA. The quality, warranty and reliability are unbeatable. If you haven't checked out KIA lately I would do so. I can not wait to trade in my Toyota Camry for another KIA.

Love, Love, LOVE my KIA
By Laura Murphy

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Bought a 2013 Kia EX Hybrid. Immaculate and sold to me from dealer at no-haggle blue book price. Has all the bells and whistles. Absolutely love this car. >35mpg in town so far. (Edited to add 1 year later: STILL love my KIA!)

Never thought I'd own a Kia
By Sly_Jester

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Well, I bought a Kia... Man was that a great move! Keep in mind Im a Honda kind of guy and how dare I walk away from the accord models that have done me right for so many years?! Well, After weeks of comparing and constrating numbers and figures (warranty, mpg, price) I did it, In the summer of 2014 (June to be exact) I purchased a used 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX with 17,500 miles for $21,597.88 (ttt). Let me be the first to tell you the step up from an accord to this beauty was a life changer. The ergonomics of this car just makes me feel like I'm at home. Oh and the features well she's loaded nothing spared for the best! It may sound like I'm joking but the luster I have for this car is still present today. So let's get to the nuts and bolts! How is she today(12 July 2016) (I'm referring to the optima)? She has approx. 127k miles on her... Yes 127,000 miles. Any problems?! Yes, the backup camera doesn't work all the time. Well... Anything else?! No, I change my oil every 4K miles (full synthetic mobile 1), I have put two sets of tires on her, one K&N air filter, 6 cabin air filters, regular fluid changes, and she still spits out avg 33mpg. I have 99 problems but a Hybrid component ain't one. Now keep in mind I drive 1000 miles a week on avg. she has been in two accidents (cosmetic damages), but has never left me stranded or in distress (knock on wood). I will tell anyone who is looking for a reliable vehicle to consider Kia. I plan on putting another 150k miles on her before I retire her so I'll keep you posted when I hit 200k. Until then drive Kia and stop texting and driving!

enjoy my kia
By stan

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid LX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

my kia get good mileage and maintence have been good lot of people at my job love my kia would recommended to anyone who desire to buy a kia.