Used 2013 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great car...but mpg
By coliveri

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I think this car is great. Great handling, acceleration, love the interior and bluetooth, the exterior is sharp and aggressive. BUT the gas mileage is a turn off! Im averaging 26 mpg..on the high way! Ive tried everything. Tried cruse control, driving light footed and watching the instant mpg monitor....all of that with eco mode and still nothing!!! Its becoming very frustrating because first of all this is a 4 cylinder! My old lincoln ls (v8) could get that kind of mileage. Thank god Im leasing this car. Kia stop lying about you're mpg.

Bluetooth, interior overall, sleek design on the exterior

Gas mileage....or just stop lying and post the actual mgp specs. If you say I can get 35 highway I should get somewhere close to that.

Steering and Milage are Horrible
By whd13b

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I must start with, the car looks beautiful.
Remington Red is a real show stopper.
Seats are super comfortable and interior spacious. Needs more storage compartments. Gas wise, horrible.
I'm averaging 23 mpg, and Eco changes nothing but the way it drives.
Moving on to steering.
Refuses to stay on center while driving.
Pulls to the left, then when straightened out, goes to the right.
Back and forth, but always over steers to the left when on a center plane surface.
Very exhausting when driving on the straight run highways off highway, almost caused a few accidents veering into the opposite lane while taking my eyes off the road for a split second to turn AC on or equivalent. Bad!

Exterior design, color, LED tail lights (why no LED running lights is beyond me on a $30k vehicle), seat comfort, Infinity sound system.

There are 100's of complaints on Optima's steering issue on the internet (ARFC.org) and Kia needs to correct this dangerous defect. Advertise realistic MPG. Offer blind spot monitoring and LED running lights. Strength of rear defroster very weak. Takes over 20 minutes to defrost cool late summer morning moisture on my rear window. Improve entertainment system to offer apps like Pandora, Weather, etc.. Very basic navigation/stereo/climate system as it is now. Other vehicles entertainment systems in this category are much more feature packed.

good car great standard features
By dmc03

2013 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Like the car real well, runs great has plenty of power, smooth ride, comfortable seating. the only thing i am disappointed in is the gas mileage. The sticker rates it at 24 city 35 highway. I once checked it at about 19mpg everyday driving. On the highway going from birmingham to atlanta round trip I got about 30mpg. which is not too bad , but is about 5mpg below epa estimated mileage. So it seems that both the city and highway mileage falls about 5mpg short. Don't go by the estimated mpg on the odometer because it is not very accurate. It may say you are getting a few more miles per gallon than is true. I found when you check it at fill up with a calculater
it is less.

beautiful body design,good engine power, blue tooth, standard alloy wheels, dash and console design

better gas mileage

Best value for sports sedan
By darfer19

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I spent months researching every car on the internet , taking test drives , checking out pricing ... and the Optima SXL was the absolute bext car I could find for me. It gave me exactly what I was looking for which was nice power, decent ga milage , attractive out side packaging, a lot of extra features, and an easy to use touch screen.. all for a low $30's. I drove a BMW 3 series, an Audi A4, a mazda 6, honda accord and none had a perfect blend like the Optima. The Mazda not enough HP , the Accord lacked styling in the back, the BMW nice but 40 plus grand with basic features, and the closest was the Audi which drove nice but the tech and styling also a bit dated. The Opimta SXL is great!!

Exterior Styling is eye catching , cockpit driver seat, and turbo HP.

updated tech but keep the ease of use touch screen.. nothing really in my opinion warrants much change

warrenty issues
By ibergeron

2013 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

the Kia Optima we purchased was our third, we had an Amanti, we purchased a Sorento for our son, and now we have an Optima. the car ran great but it blew the engine.
the repairs approved was a re-manufactured engine. Every mechanic I have spoken to said that a new engine in a 1 1/2 year old car with 21,500 miles was the correct repair NOT a re-manufactured engine.
If you want a vehicle that will be repaired properly, stay AWAY From KIA.