Used 2013 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Great Value, Reliable, and Comfortable but...
By AnnD

2013 Kia Optima EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wish the interior was quieter and gas mileage better. Since first bought new 8/12 I have never obtained more than 23 in the city and 30 on the highway (only with non-ethanol fuel and non-stop PDX to Seattle - otherwise 2 gallons less). My usual combined mileage including one 40 round trip highway trip a week is 24 with ethanol fuel. I have only driven about 73,000 miles since work from home and nothing has broken or needed repair other than a squeaky door which started last summer so the dealer greases hinge every 6 months when there for an oil change. Weston Kia has been great to work with and offers bargain oil changes! Besides oil and air filter changes I needed new front brake pads at about 50,000 miles and new tires about 35,000 as the OEM set rode great/smooth but wore out fast. Only other complaint is the hood paint - one rock chip has now rusted out the size of a nickel and would cost at least $500 to fix plus a few lost days so it is what it is. Ironically the doors look new as I installed matching color strips when bought. First car I have ever owned more than 5 years and usually only go 4 - but can't justify selling as it's styling is so similar outside to new ones.

If the tech & transmission were a LITTLE better
By The Davy

2013 Kia Optima LX Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I tend to drive decently roughly. I bought this car after minor body work had been done thanks to a tree collision (right, carfax?), and made off with it for $10,000 exactly with only 37,000 miles on the ODO. In my 10 months of ownership, there have been a couple warranty part replacements that Colonial Kia near Richmond VA handled with grace, but NO out-of-the-ordinary maintenance has been required. It’s one of the smoothest riding non-luxury sedans I’ve ever driven, but the suspension is taut enough to let you never forget there’s a road under you. The exterior paint seems pretty cheap, getting substantially beaten up on the front end by simple highway battery, but the Interior is too-notch. The leather-wrapped steering wheel feels fantastic, the controls are very intuitive on the steering wheel and on the dash, and the seats are almost obscenely comfortable, in my opinion (5’6 @ 145 lbs). Materials are the same in front and back, unlike in the Camry, and legroom is ENDLESS. Road noise is decently isolated. Wind noise can be burdensome at very quick highway speeds (like I said, I drive pretty roughly). The engine is quiet and strong, but the transmission kills the acceleration experience, hence the 4-Star review. There is a plateau between when the electric motor peters out and the Atkinson 4 cyl kick in that makes even RELATIVELY rapid acceleration very frustrating. The transmission shifts extremely slowly and smoothly, but at the appropriate times, especially out of ECO mode. I know some people struggle with fuel economy in their Optimas, but I’ve found nothing but truth in the EPA numbers, pulling down 36 mpg combined in the middle of winter in the mountains of New Jersey. 0-60 time is 7.8 seconds on my best runs (don’t ask me how I know this). Lastly, the car is just so damn stylish. Even 5 years after its release, it still looks pretty relevant, aside from that front lip spoiler. Final recap: its 6-speed transmission doesn’t make it feel as wonderful as it seemed during the test drive (especially when you first start up the car), but the electric torque does feel VERY good on slowish starts. The interior is vey high quality for the segment, although the trunk space leaves much to be desired, albeit the hybrid battery. The exterior is beautiful and seldom seen in the unique hybrid styling. It’s been incredibly reliable over the 30,000 Miles I’ve driven it, including a Canadian road trip and months and months of pizza delivery. Lastly, I find it supremely comfortable and relaxing to drive, as long as I’m not trying to burn rubber. In my hybrid. Because I’m THAT guy.

From Mercedes to Kia no turning back!
By Linda Fodo

2013 Kia Optima SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The quality, design, safety, pretty interior, ........

warranty? Not so much
By Sgudvangen

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Before my bumper to bumper warranty was up. I started having issues with my air-conditioning and my passanger side window. I brought it into the dealership ( I needed a oil change anyways) so they said the air-conditioning is working fine and they don't hear any issues with the window. Low and behold the air conditioning is working great and the window is going up and down without any problems. Jump ahead about 4 months and here I am again at the dealership and the air-conditioning is broken along with the window. They confirmed they were both broken and it would cost me about $4,000 to fix and of course I'm now over the 60,000 mile warranty by a thousand miles and is of course no longer under warranty. I find it amazing things start braking down after the warranty is up. Now I get the luxury of driving a car in 100+ heat and I can't even roll the window down. LUCKY ME!!!

STEERING PROBLEMS
By Frustrated Owner

2013 Kia Optima LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased this car used - have had two weeks and am having steering problems. The car refuses to travel in a straight line - the nose of the car wanders back and forth requiring constant steering corrections. Just did research on the web and discovered that this is a COMMON PROBLEM with Optima's from the 2011 - 2014 range. Contacted the dealership and they can't get me a service appointment until a week from now. I am so disappointed - this is my third Kia and I feel like I've bought myself a headache
UPDATE TO ORIGINAL REVIEW - Three weeks after purchase, we had an accident with this car (which had nothing to do with the steering problems) - I have raised my overall review of the car, as it performed well in the crash and kept my family from being seriously injured