Used 2012 Kia Optima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Kia Optima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Wish I Wouldn't Have Leased So I could Sell It!
By bjk2

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If I had bought this car I could sell it & cut my losses on gas. Most everything is great about my 2013 Optima SXL 2.0 Turbo except that I average 16 mpg. No I don't drive it hard or fast. I get better mpg in my Chevy HD2500 4x4, 4gr, long bed diesel. If I was getting the advertised 22 mpg city I'd be happier. I hope there is such a thing a a break-in period to get the advertised mpg. I'd rather have my gutless 1.8L Toyota Matrix that gets great gas mileage at this point in time. The low ratings are all about the mpg.

Everything else about this car is great! I'm 6'4" & it has plenty of room.

MPG MPG MPG MPG MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decent car for the Money - Wish MPG was better
By soxfan99

2012 Kia Optima Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Leased car in April 2012. Wanted to give the car a few months of driving before writing a review. Rides and handles great. Great tech options. Build quaility is what you would expect in the price range - It's a 21,000 car(25,800 list) - that being said, you can tell where they cut back. Door handles are one example.
As far as the stated MPG, have put 11,000 miles of combined driving, never have gotten above 23-24 mpg. Long highway trips (with cruise) 31-32 mpg.
Eco or not does not matter. The dealer does know, they said, nothing they can do. Kia corporate only wants to "talk about it". I bet - now that they are giving fuel credits to some owners of other models.

Bluetooth, "leather" seats, keyless ignition. Great sized trunk. Head room, leg room.

More realistic gas mileage numbers. Have not met another Optima owner locally who is averaging 26+ with combined driving. In fact, that is usually the first question asked. Take a look at the small details, door handles, console arm rest. Hollow sound when you close the door, or trunk

Love Love Love
By uwololli

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had this car (used) for nearly 3 months and I'm having a love affair! I drive almost 70 miles round trip a day and I average 36-38 hwy mpg (32 mpg overall).
Anyone who says they get lower milage needs to press their "Eco" button and set their cruise control.
My neighbor bought an Accord about the same time and while he gets a few more mpg, no one turns their head when he pulls into the parking lot at work.
Speaking of work, we get 4 adults into my Optima when we go to lunch and no one complains about room (also can't be said for his Accord).

Bluetooth, Driver's cockpit, seats are comfortable (front and back), steering wheels controls (audio, cruise, eco, etc), exterior styling, interior comfort, mpg.

Not a fan of buying a trim "upgrade" just to get things that could be included on the base model - ie. sunroof, UVO, auto-climate, heated seats/steering wheel, etc. Trim levels should offer a significant difference, but that is the case with all cars brands right now. I like that a lot of "features" from other brands are included on the base "LX".

Extremely Satisfied
By bambino3

2012 Kia Optima Sedan SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased this car new in November 2011 and now have just over 12,000 miles on it. It's been flawless so far. Not a single issue. Averaging 30mpg under all conditions. I can't say that about any of the previous Audi A4's I've owned--which were far more costly when comparing feature for feature. Great performance with the 2.0 turbo, plus excellent fuel economy for a sedan of this size--on regular unleaded.

Style; vehicle performance; fuel economy; passenger room, front and back; excellent seats; large trunk; heated front and rear seats; panoramic moon roof; voice activated phone; great nav system; best manufacturer new car warranty.

Too much wind noise from the side view mirrors; some road noise in the passenger compartment (probably from a combination of tire tread, road surface, and a lack of insulation); a good infinity stereo, but not great (woofer in the rear shelf vibrates when the bass is turned up); front passenger seat has no vertical adjustment; no 12V DC access in the rear pax area or in the trunk. All of these issues are minor compared with the overall excellent features, performance, competitive cost, and outstanding factory warranty.

Disappointed
By swkia

2012 Kia Optima Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Poor gas mileage especially in the city. Under 16 mpg avg(mostly city) Never been gentler on a car(BORING) can't get it get anywhere near rated mileage. Dealer no help. Sirrus radio sounds awful when using Sirrus. I leased this vehicle expecting to save on fuel consumption. This low mileage is hitting hard at $4 a gallon. When researching I saw the low mileage warnings and bought into break in in period malarkey. Not true, got worse. If it weren't for the poor gas mileage. I would give it high ratings. I like most everything else.

Roomy, easy to drive, great lines. Big trunk. Nice ride. Great price for all the features. Many imports charge a lot for all the extra(should be standard) features. Good visibility.

Get a spare tire designed into this thing. This is a major safety risk. Cell phones don't work everywhere. Stiffen the sheet metal on the doors, every time the kids shut the door you can hear it warbling. Adjust the tranny so when you ease up on the gas it doesn't feel liked you tapped on the brakes, it needs to coast. Get your radio from another supplier I would never ever buy satellite radio if they all sounded that awful. Use a better quality of paint. It takes way to much work to bring the richness back out of the ebony paint. It looks dull if I don't Carnuba wax it once a month. Oh Yeah one more thing Fix the Mileage problems many people seem to be having. About half the cars out ther